_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Beaverette III (ACUTR)
Bud1
Visit this Community
Wexford, Ireland
entire network: 73 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 04:18 AM UTC
Hi,
Just a quick update pic on my modest contribution to ACUTR. This is a Beaverette III armoured car. I picked it as it was an easy subject to do and I might actually finish it. Construction is finished here and it's ready for paint. The wheels came from a 1/32 toy Range Rover, they were the correct diameter so I just had to clean them up and add the hubs. They look a little wide compared to scale plans but some pics show the real vehicles wearing fairly big off-road tyres so they'll do. They're attached to a separate chassis anyway so I can replace them if I find something better.

The model has since been painted in mid-grey to represent an Irish DF vehicle during WW2, it'll be "Kleared" soon so I can do some weathering and I'll have to print some decals for it. More pics to come.

Things were going so well I dug out another long-dormant project and decided to try to finish it as well. The vehicle with no wheels is another Irish armoured car based on a Ford truck. It was started a long time ago for Siya Africa but it proved so problematic I just had to put it away. It's still a PITA but I'm determined to finish it this time!

Regards,
Rich
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 07:03 AM UTC
I was following your other thread of this project. You said "easy subject" but it's never easy. Maybe you make it look easy. This armored car looks great, with a lot of details.

barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 01:37 PM UTC

Liking it .......good on ya to have another shot at the Ford
Great when you see a plan come together
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2007 - 04:50 PM UTC
Looks good.
Brings back memories, I built one years ago, using a set of plans in an old - I think it was- Airfix magazine.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 03:41 AM UTC
Nice job Rich!

Let's see some more progress pics. They encourage the rest of us trogs who are dabbling in the "Dark Side".
Bud1
Visit this Community
Wexford, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 03:46 AM UTC
Hi again,
Here's the model wearing Humbrol enamel. The base coat is Humbrol 109 mid grey, then the same colour lightened and sprayed into the centre panels. I love this stage of a scratchbuild when all those bits of plastic and other stuff you weren't really sure about come together under a coat of paint. I need to fix a few scratches that I really should have spotted when it was primed, apart from that it's coming along okay.

I used a great set of plans by George Bradford for this. I made a few copies so I could scribble on the working plan and if needed cut out a panel and offer it up to the model to check fit or mark the placement of rivets. That's a bad sign isn't it? Not just counting them but worrying about the pattern .... Give in to the Dark Side ....!!!!

Rich
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 - 01:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a bad sign isn't it? Not just counting them but worrying about the pattern .... Give in to the Dark Side ....!!!!

Rich

Yep, you're turning sad and suitably dark very nicely!

How did you make the rivets?
Bud1
Visit this Community
Wexford, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 03:46 AM UTC
Murdo, the rivets I've been using are resin by Calibre 35. They come in various sizes from about 1.5mm down to extremely tiny. There's a set of 360 in various sizes that's really useful. I tried using the tiny balls from a water filter cartridge before but I found it hard to get them all looking consistent. I spread an old black t-shirt on the table when I'm working on these. When, not if, you drop individual rivets, they won't bounce and the cream resin is easy to see.

R
 _GOTOTOP