Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
any one been to somalia?
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 - 08:49 AM UTC
Hey my names art. I'm a sergeant first class in the army. Been in the army for 8 years now. Before that I spent four years in the Marine Corps as an amphibious assault crewman on LVTP7A1's. Currently I'm an M1 Abrams mechanic. I've done two tours in the Persian Gulf. Landed in Somalia and assaulted about a thousand reporters, and patroled the borders of Macedonia. By the look of things, looks like I'm gonna have the great privilage of a third tour of the Persian Gulf real soon. Anyway, looking forward to being a member of this forum.
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 - 09:02 AM UTC
Welcome, Marine, we can always use you active duty types to keep us straight on what is currently happening out there. I have not been on a tank in over 20 years, so I am a little dated. Guys on M1's are in demand, as it seems most of us armor modellers end up building one eventually!
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 06:21 AM UTC
SFCSummit,
Hi and welcome. My name is Jody aka wolf-leader and my unit was in somalia [75th Rangers] unfortunately I had got out of the army in 1982. But like all Rangers once a Ranger Always a Ranger. My last duty station was in Ft. Benning with the 75th Rangers. Even though I was not with them in Somalia my heart was very much with them. I hope this answers your question.
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 07:37 AM UTC
Jody,
Didn't get to meet many rangers while I was there. Mostly dealt with guys from the 10th mountain division and a small detachment of Belgian Airborne. Know what you mean about once a ranger always a ranger. I think that sentiment or one just like it rings true in the hearts of all vets to some degree.
1stsgt
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 10:59 AM UTC
I retired in November of 1993 after this event. (20+years E-6)
i was attached the command center as a Com-tech, you probably can related to Black Hawk Down with all the computers and hi-tech equipment.
beachbm2
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 400 Posts
KitMaker Network: 243 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 07:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I retired in November of 1993 after this event. (20+years E-6)
i was attached the command center as a Com-tech, you probably can related to Black Hawk Down with all the computers and hi-tech equipment.

Well 1stSgt you got me beat by 2 months been retired since 1 Jan 94. Not all that bad a job anymore!
Jeff aka beachbm2 (SSG Ret)
Bribo
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 12:27 PM UTC
I was actually in Kenya, just south of Somalia. I was a radar tech on the Spectre Gunships, the ones Madelaine deemed too "high profile" to help out the Rangers. We flew out of Mombasa, Kenya.