TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
comic inspiration
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,998 Posts
KitMaker Network: 257 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 10:30 PM UTC
Having just recieved my 3rd book in the series of "Charleys war" i though i would introduce and recomend it to a few others certainly my friends across the pond who may not have read or heard of it.

Charley's War is one of the best stories in the British war comic 'Battle picture weekly', and later 'Eagle' Charley’s War is arguably the most important comic war story ever produced. The script was written by Pat Mills with artwork by Joe Colquhoun. It started in early 1979 (the 200th issue) and revolved around the exploits of Charley Bourne; a 16 year old idealistic kid who lies about his age so he can leave his job at the bus garage and join Kitcheners army as it swelled with volunteers, ready for the 'big push" of summer 1916 (the debacle better known as the Battle of the Somme.) Charley very quickly realises the real facts of the most horrific War of the Twentieth Century and turns very much the anti-hero when all of his mates are cut down on the first of July, the first day of the Somme. The story tracks Charley's fortunes right through the Great War, documenting his experiences on the Somme, Ypres and the final Advance of 1918, After the War ended an older Charley Bourne was posted to Russia to help the white Russians fight the Bolsheviks in 1919. (An often overlooked and unknown facet of WW1) The story continued into the beginning of the Second World War when, due to a falling out with IPC over his research budget Mills bowed out to concentrate on the new story for 2000AD: ‘Slaine’ He had intended to bring Charley’s War into World War Two and tell some of the darker history of that war too. In the end writer Scott Goodall took up the Mantle with Joe Colquhoun and it continued (without it’s previous edge) until its eventual rushed end in 1986.

Currently the whole story is currently being reproduced by titan books and is a must for any fan of war stories, i can't recommed enough reading these stories if you get the chance, the art work and story lines will keep you fully engrossed as well as the potential to help the creative jucies flow. alot of the art work and stories are based around real photos

the books are available from amazon for those wanting a visit dowm memory lane and for those who may just be a little intrested in one of the greatest stories ever told

visit
charlies war for a little more information

cheers

Keith forsyth