_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Acrylic Paint removal
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 07:51 PM UTC
I need to strip the acrylic paint from airplane wings and repaint. What can i use to remove the paint, so the the surface is not damage and can be later re-primed and painted?
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:27 PM UTC
There are a number of ways that are effective:

1) Soak in winshield washer fluid (it has a moderate percentage of isopropyl and will eventually dissolve acrylics).
2) Spray with Easy Off oven cleaner. This will strip just about ANY paint off and still doesn't hurt the plastic. It does sometimes weaken glue bonds and definitely needs to be done while wearing rubber gloves and with the model then sealed, while wet, in a plastic bag. The fumes are harsh.

Note that these will strip all the paint off the model. It really isn't practical to limit the stripping to a portion of the model. Even if you only apply the strippers to a limited area, the fumes will weaken the paint bond over the rest of the model and it will likely flake off later.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:41 PM UTC
You can also try Castrol "Super Clean" driveway cleaner. I bought mine at Wal Mart.

It is caustic so don't soak your hands in it but it takes off everything. I poured about a pint in an old plastic cooler and let my stuff soak for a couple of days, took them out and used a tooth brush to get the chunks off. I still have the same liquid in the same cooler and it has been in there for a couple of years.

Shaun
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 05:13 PM UTC
Thanks guys, it doesnt take long to get a good answer on the site, as usual!

grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 417 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 06:16 PM UTC
Castrol "Super Clean"
As Shaun said, it will take off just about anything.
It will soften the outer layer of some older plastics if you let it soak too long.
However after a couple of days the surface returned to normal after it completely dried.
Powerful stuff, wear gloves as it is hard on your hands.
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 03:16 AM UTC
I tried the windshield washer fluid (actually windex) but did not work, the oven cleaner did.
 _GOTOTOP