Trouble with decals?
Making White Decals
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 08:19 AM UTC
I would like to creat custom-sized "MILITARY POLICE" markings that will appear in white, and want to print them using the decal paper available at hobby stores. How can I best accomplish this? I can use either laser or ink jet printers.
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 08:28 AM UTC
I cannot say which works better, as I have only experimented with decals using inkjet. I'm not sure about laser printing, but with inkjet, it is essential that you get a sealer to spray on so the ink will not run or smudge in use.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 09:00 AM UTC
Unfortunately, no inkjet nor laserjet printer prints white ink. The only printers that print in white are the out of production and super-expensive Alps printers.

There are two methods make your own white decals. One is to use white decal paper with the surround color the same color as the background on the model. The other is to use clear decal paper with the surround the same color as the model again. Only this time you paint the area behind the decal white to get a white image. Both methods work equally well.

The same method is used when printing decals that are a lighter color than the background. Clear decal film doesn't work since the ink is too opaque and the decal disappears on the dark background. In this case, you have to use white decal film with a surround the same color as the model. I used this method for the OD Green markings on black for my MH-60L DAP. You can see how they came out below.

As Kevin says, once you print onto the decal paper, let the ink dry well, an hour will do. Then spray it with an acrylic clear to seal it. I use Krylon Krystal Clear spray. Once the sealer is dry, cut them out and apply just like any other water-slide decals.

Good luck.
 _GOTOTOP