Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Virginia governor closes gun loophole
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 - 12:23 AM UTC
By BOB LEWIS, Associated Press Writer
28 minutes ago

RICHMOND, Va. - The governor on Monday closed the loophole in state law that allowed the Virginia Tech gunman to pass a federal background check and buy the weapons used in the massacre.

Gov. Timothy M. Kaine issued an executive order requiring that a database of people banned from buying guns include anyone who is found to be dangerous and ordered to undergo involuntary mental health treatment.

Seung-Hui Cho had been ordered to undergo psychiatric counseling after a judge ruled that he was a danger to himself.

But because Cho was treated as an outpatient and never committed to a mental health hospital, the court's decision was not entered into the database that gun dealers must check before selling a weapon.

The database "should include any determination that someone is mentally ill and so dangerous to himself or others as to warrant involuntary treatment," Kaine said in a statement.

Cho, a 23-year-old Virginia Tech senior described as a troubled loner, bought his guns legally through gun shops. He gunned down 32 people in a residence hall and a classroom building before killing himself.

No motive has been established for his rampage.
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

RICHMOND, Va. - The governor on Monday closed the loophole in state law that allowed the Virginia Tech gunman to pass a federal background check and buy the weapons used in the massacre.

Horses doors and bolting spring to mind!

At least may stop it happening again.

Andy
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 939 Posts
KitMaker Network: 202 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 - 07:29 PM UTC
The previous thread over the Virginia topic CLEARLY ended by a moderator locking it.
I personally think furthering this topic will only generate more animosity (as if there wasn't enough last time) between members.Topics of this nature do nothing constructive and should have no place in the junk drawer.

markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 - 07:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The previous thread over the Virginia topic CLEARLY ended by a moderator locking it.
I personally think furthering this topic will only generate more animosity (as if there wasn't enough last time) between members.Topics of this nature do nothing constructive and should have no place in the junk drawer.

Agreed, and since I am a guilty party in the first thread I will not comment further.