_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
scratchbuilding?
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 215 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 07:46 PM UTC
hi evryone! im not new to the scale modelling hobby but its gonna be the first time im goin to try scratchbuilding.. would anybody teach or help me get started? how is scratchbuilding done anyway?

say im gonna build a car hood and doors from scratch.. what material should i use and how should i use it? putty maybe?

please consider me a total newbie on this so explanations in detail would be greatly appreaciated..

thanks in advance!
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:00 PM UTC
Gday arkuo14
Well basically anything you can get your hands on in the way of materials can be used; it is just a case of applying the right material to the right project. The local hobby store should have a display stand full of styrene sheet of varying thicknesses, rods, beams etc. which can be used as seen fit. Even everyday items around the house, such as card, clear plastic etc. Your best start would be to have a look at what is available on line from Evergreen or plastruct, and then the range will become apparent, and how you can substitute them for your own free everyday items...
Hope this helps, and before you know it you'll look at everything around you differently and how it could be used for scratchbuilding!
Cheers
Brad
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:25 PM UTC

Wow, a hood and a couple of doors for a first scratchbuild? You've got pluck.

First off, what kind of vehicle are ya building? If it's a car or truck, again, ya got pluck. AFVs are a bit easier, I think.

Like Brad said, there are ump-teen places to get materials, but, I have to know a bit more to help. The givens are: Sheet plastic (styrene), glue (CA or Super/Crazy glue), putty and sanding material. Do a version in cardboard first. Get your measurements and shapes established in cardboard and when it's all good, transfer the technique to plastic. Putty, sand and file to fit.

That's about it.
Hope I helped,
Cuhail
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 11:36 PM UTC
If you just want a door or hood from say-the remnants of a destroyed civilian vehicle, you could get a 1/32 scale kit and use parts:

OR
you could carve a basswood model, and heat form .010 sheet styrene over it. I did this once for a 1/35 airplane wing in a crash scene, and I will not be doing it again any time soon.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 02:57 AM UTC
Ask Steve (Barv)!

He'll sort it out for you.

If he can't build it... It can't be built.
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2007 - 08:57 AM UTC
thanks for the advices guys! i was trying my luck in scratchbuilding on this one...

since no kit was made of this navy seal FAV in the market, i was thinking of scratchbuilding the hood, doors and the roof.. looks easy cause its just a flat solid surface.. the rollcage can be made out of thin sprues and the chasis and wheels can be from a modified humvee.. and the mesh is well, mesh... i just didnt know what material to use on the hood and doors..

thanks again for the help guys!
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2007 - 08:59 AM UTC
oh and another thing, the kit is going to be on a 1/35 scale so its gonna be relatively small...
 _GOTOTOP