_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Help with Mr Dissolved Putty
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 09:40 PM UTC
I picked up some Mr Hobby Mr Dissolved putty and I have a question. Does it shrink when it dries? I had some pretty bad sink holes to fill and I used this product. I liked the fact it was already semi liquid, and that I didn't have to mix it with liquid glue or anything. After applying it I waited a few hours for it to dry, then sanded it smooth. It looked fine. Then I painted the ship and it still looked good. A couple of days later though it seemed like it had shrank and the sink holes were noticeable again. I'm wondering if you have to reapply several days apart or what?

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 09:51 PM UTC
Hmmm What did you paint it with??? just a guess but a Laquer based paint could reactivate it........... haven't used it so I Can't say........ heck I haven opened my Mr Surfacer yet...LOL
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 10:14 PM UTC
Rodger,

You will have to re-apply as it does shrink after drying - just like Mr. Surfacer.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rodger,

You will have to reapply as it does shrink after drying - just like Mr. Surfacer.

DOH! I never used Mr Surfacer, and the label is in Japanese, so I didn't know. How long do you have to wait to reapply, and how many times?

Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 10:51 PM UTC
From my experience, it does seem to shrink. Given that I don't paint right away over top of it, I've got time to catch it. I find that I usually have to apply it a couple of times to ensure that I've got it right. As for time, it depends on how deep the area is that needs filled. Very small areas are ok in a couple of hours. Bigger spots I let dry overnight. You can get a good sense of the time because if you try to sand it too soon, it'll have a rubbery consistency (or something to that effect).

Also, to help ensure proper filling, make sure it's mixed up enough. I've noticed that if it isn't, there's some carrier that looks like filler, but when it dries, it shrinks much more than the actual filler.

- Frank
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 10:54 PM UTC
I have been really "anal" about drying times and tend to let stuff dry overnight before applying a 2nd coat. I also tend to apply more up front to counter the shrinkage of the material thus cutting down on 2nd & possible 3rd applications...
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 06:56 AM UTC
Thanks guys. Next time I use it I'll let it dry for longer, and apply two or more applications.

Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 08:26 AM UTC
Rodger, if you apply too heavy a coat, you run this risk of it cracking when it dries....first hand knowledge of this I'm afraid Then you have to aplly a second coat anyways. You can add somewhat more than needed to comp for the shrinkage, just don't overboard. Get with me Sunday night at the build if you can make it, and I can show you what I mean. "Q"
DOJO
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 296 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 08:31 AM UTC
from what i understand they just took there regular putty and thinned it.
 _GOTOTOP