_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
First Airbrush
karnaaj
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 07:38 AM UTC
Hello everyone, I'm new here having just reentered the modeling scene after a 30yr absence. My son was looking into doing a model for a history project and in helping him pick out which model to build (Tamiya Sherman) I caught the bug again bad.

So I am looking for my first airbrush. I have always been highly intimidated by them resulting in a decision not to get one. So I am looking for help from you all to get me over this hump. Firstly I am looking for ease of use, something that I can setup without a lot of headaches. Secondly I would prefer to buy a kit that has everything in it that I will need to get started (I do want to stay away from canned air so something with a good compressor would be nice). Thirdly I need recommendations for a good online store that would carry what I need. There is a very nice LHS not too far from home and I do plan to support them but I realize that I can probably save some money going online. Lastly I'm not too concerned about total cost as long as the value is there.

So how about it? What kind of setups can you pros recommend? Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 07:45 AM UTC
I cant tell where you are located, but Dixieart.com has some good packaged setups with compressors and airbrushes. I personally use an Iwata Revolution and a compressor that I picked up from Harbor Freight. Works great. Whatever you decide on I would try to stick with a double action airbrush. Takes a little getting used to but pays you back with some fantastic paintjobs in the end.

Welcome to the site and back to the hobby as well
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 05:21 PM UTC
Actualy I would not buy a complete airbrush kit that include compressor. I would by the comperssor seperate from airbrush. Look for a duel action airbrush, and a tank compressor from walmart
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:19 PM UTC
I made the jump last summer into airbrushing and went with an Iwata Revolution CR and an Iwata PowerJet compressor. The Revolution has been fantastic and it's one of the few products of any sort in my life that has worked as expected right from the start.

I went with the Iwata compressor, which isn't cheap, because I wanted something that was quiet. It, too, has worked perfectly and I haven't looked back since.

Both were purchased through Dixieart.com. They're a pretty good site. The order took a couple of weeks as they dropshipped both items directly from Iwata.

Hope that helps!

- Frank
karnaaj
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 06:47 AM UTC
Visited the Dixie site. Pretty impressive selection of airbrushes, almost too impressive!!! Wouldn't a dual action brush be a little complicated for a newbie, or not?
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 06:10 AM UTC
Paul,

I thought the same thing when I took the plunge, but decided given that I'd eventually upgrade, I just went with the double-action. For the most part, you'll be able to get the basics down pretty quickly, then gradually expand your skills without having to upgrade equipment.

For whatever reason, I found learning to control the air and paint flow to be pretty easy. I'm no expert by any means, but I'm quite satisfied with the camo schemes and painting that I've been able to do up to this point.

Hope that helps.

- Frank
IndyCopper
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 153 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 06:27 AM UTC
I just purchased an Iwata Revolution today. I have been using a Badger 150 for years. Both are dual action. I would definately recommend not getting a single action for the reason listed above. The Iwata seems very easy to take apart and clean. I did a test shot through it a few hours ago and it seemed to perform pretty well.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 07:38 AM UTC
Paul, another vote for Iwata! I have two of them, an HP-B for detail work and a Revolution CR for general use, and love 'em both. The Revolution CR is not only a good "beginner" brush, it's just a plane good brush. Easy to use, easy to clean, you can use it for general coverage, ie. base coats on your models, but it's also not bad for painting camo schemes as well. I would highly recommend buying a pre-set handle for it, it'll run you an extra $30.00 but it allows you to exactly control the paint flow, which makes life much easier. (especially if you're just starting out) I also have an Iwata compressor and though on the more expensive side for hobby compressors, after using mine now for about 3-4 years I've had no problems, and it's not loud at all. I can run it with my wife asleep right down the hall about 15-20 ft. away, and it doesn't bother her at all. Below is a link to some reviews of some Iwata brushes and a compressor you might find helpful. I also am another very satisfied Dixieart customer. I've ordered from them a number of times and not had any problems.

Mike

http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/other/iwata.htm
karnaaj
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 06:53 AM UTC
Mike, can I get by with just the CR for now? Is it ok for detail work , or is it unsuitable?
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 07:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike, can I get by with just the CR for now? Is it ok for detail work , or is it unsuitable?

I would say yes. I use the HP-B for very intricate camo schemes and fading and weathering areas when I don't want to worry about overspray. The Revolution can be used for a lot, maybe even the majority of your paint work, depending on what genre you like to build. It's not a bad detail brush, it's just not as good as the HP-B, but then the HP-B isn't good for general use because of it's small paintcup and limited coverage.

Mike
markm
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 08:59 AM UTC
I use my Revolution for everything from basecoats, camo, flat and gloss coats and it has not missed a beat yet. I am sure I will upgrade one of these days but for me it does everything I need it to. I wish I had started off with it instead of a single action. I have really become spoiled with how easy it works.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 04:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wouldn't a dual action brush be a little complicated for a newbie, or not?

Not really Paul, it just takes a little more practice and coordination to learn to use, and eventually you'll want to get a double action, so you might as well start with one, and not need to do several upgrades along the way. Also buy the best you can afford. Remember the smaller the nozzle/needle combination, the more clogging problems you'll encounter.
karnaaj
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 06:28 AM UTC
All right, I'm beginning to get the picture. So I go for the double action brush thus saving me the bother of having to upgrade later. There are two votes for the Revolution CR by Iwata. What if money were no object (within reason of course )? What would some of you recommend? Or wouldit be hard to improve upon the Revolution?
markm
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 07:29 AM UTC
I would say that the Revolution would be a good starting brush for double action. It was a very easy transition for me from single action. I do not have one of the more expensive one so I will let someone who does make that recommendation.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 07:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All right, I'm beginning to get the picture. So I go for the double action brush thus saving me the bother of having to upgrade later. There are two votes for the Revolution CR by Iwata. What if money were no object (within reason of course )? What would some of you recommend? Or wouldit be hard to improve upon the Revolution?

Weeell, if money is no object, and still keeping in mind this would be your first airbrush and compressor I'd go with this airbrush: The Iwata HP-C Plus. The HP-C Plus is equally good for detail and general use. It's not the most expensive, $159.00 delivered from Dixieart, but it's not cheap either. For a compressor, again if money is no object then I'd say the Iwata Smart Jet Pro here, it sells for $251.00 delivered from Dixie. If you wanted to save fifty bucks you could go with the regular Smart Jet here, $199.00 from Dixie. Now yes, you can find more expensive brushes, but for a first time set-up you would be hard pressed to find a better one that will do everything well. Now having said all of that, the learning curve for the HP-C will be steeper than for the Revolution as it is more finicky about paint types and how you thin them. I think for a first time brush I still would say go for the Revolution, it's just a plain good and easy brush to use. (I hope I haven't thoroughly confused you Paul!! )

Best,
Mike
karnaaj
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 06:38 AM UTC
No confusion here Mike, you make good sense. As I mentioned earlier at this stage ease of use trumps just about everything else.
karnaaj
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 06:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Weeell, if money is no object, and still keeping in mind this would be your first airbrush and compressor I'd go with this airbrush: The Iwata HP-C Plus. The HP-C Plus is equally good for detail and general use. It's not the most expensive, $159.00 delivered from Dixieart, but it's not cheap either. For a compressor, again if money is no object then I'd say the Iwata Smart Jet Pro here, it sells for $251.00 delivered from Dixie. If you wanted to save fifty bucks you could go with the regular Smart Jet here, $199.00 from Dixie. Now yes, you can find more expensive brushes, but for a first time set-up you would be hard pressed to find a better one that will do everything well. Now having said all of that, the learning curve for the HP-C will be steeper than for the Revolution as it is more finicky about paint types and how you thin them. I think for a first time brush I still would say go for the Revolution, it's just a plain good and easy brush to use. (I hope I haven't thoroughly confused you Paul!! )

Best,
Mike

Mike, I have decided to go with the CR brush but I'm having a problem finding the preset handle you mentioned. What other things do you need to buy (like airhoses etc) that don't automatically come with the brush? Also, the compressor can come with or without a regulator. Is that a necessary item to have? Thanks
 _GOTOTOP