_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Metalizer Sealer
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 06:28 PM UTC
Is this a must at sealing Metalizer paint? Or can you use other stuff like a gloss coat, matt coat, etc, etc...

I know that metalizer paint needs to be sealed with something...as it will wear off otherwise....but was just wondering if anyone else has used something other than the actual Metalizer Sealer from Testors.....the reason I ask....is that the hobby shop here is currently out of it....and when I asked if he was getting any more in....he gave me some answer like he could get more.....but he just didn't seem interested....I mean to me....if he is going to sell the Metalizer paint...he should have the sealer there as well!!!!!
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 08:17 PM UTC
I've also wondered about the answer to that question. I did a search here at Armorama and I'm still not the wiser

My thought is if the specific product does have a sealer, it should be used. You might want to mail-order a bottle since your hobby shop doesn't seem to remember you are willing to pay for his wages... Same goes for your other MM color quesiton. I had a similar situation but I have a humbrol paintchip chart and was able to use that to help me out. It ended up that I just used the color I had eventhough it was a tad darker...but then again I knew it was a tad darker... sorry not to be of any help
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 05:58 AM UTC
I have researched this too. NO you do not have to seal. But Fingerprint oil marks the surface. Also the paint will rub off on your fingers. The sealer will somewhat dull the metalized finish(so im told) (i buff using cotton ball, then seal).

Also I have had trouble with Decals sticking to Metalizer if not sealed....

So its up to u. I seal, I dont see a difference in gloss change
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 09:00 AM UTC
Thanks Propboy for that info!! I've been wondering about this, as you can tell in my prior message...
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 07:05 PM UTC
OK...well I guess more my question here is....do you have to use te Metalizer Sealer....or can I use a normal lacquer gloss coat.....reason being...I have the gloss coat....and don't want to go buy an expensive bottle of Sealer if the normal gloss coat sealer works the same!!
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 01:57 PM UTC
No, I am leary ,use the sealer for the metalizer, I have been tempted to try gloss/or future coat, probably, ok, but why risk it...?

Quoted Text

OK...well I guess more my question here is....do you have to use te Metalizer Sealer....or can I use a normal lacquer gloss coat.....reason being...I have the gloss coat....and don't want to go buy an expensive bottle of Sealer if the normal gloss coat sealer works the same!!

_GOTOTOP