Place your announcements here please.
VLS Master Group members and Squadron
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,745 Posts
KitMaker Network: 221 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 11:08 PM UTC
I just got my catalogs from Squadron today and they had a flyer inside explaining what is happening with the Masters Group members. Basically what is happening is that Squadron wants to change the Masters Program, In their words "in all fairness", but will not do it till MasterCon in August, when they can talk to the customers. They are offering you an option to keep your Masters Group Discount till August, but will not be able to take advantage of any sales or promotions from Squadron. The other option is that you can Opt out of the Masters Group and get your money back and apply it to a future Squadron order and take advantage of any sales or promotions.

So reading in between the lines on this...current Master Group is going away along with the 28% discount you get with it in all likelihood. I just renewed this past month, expecting things to stay the same but after getting this, I'm disappointed.

Any other thoughts?
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 06:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just got my catalogs from Squadron today and they had a flyer inside explaining what is happening with the Masters Group members. Basically what is happening is that Squadron wants to change the Masters Program, In their words "in all fairness", but will not do it till MasterCon in August, when they can talk to the customers. They are offering you an option to keep your Masters Group Discount till August, but will not be able to take advantage of any sales or promotions from Squadron. The other option is that you can Opt out of the Masters Group and get your money back and apply it to a future Squadron order and take advantage of any sales or promotions.

So reading in between the lines on this...current Master Group is going away along with the 28% discount you get with it in all likelihood. I just renewed this past month, expecting things to stay the same but after getting this, I'm disappointed.

Any other thoughts?

SO let me get this right, I did not get my flier yet.
There is nothing left in stock at VLS worth picking over, and I cannot use the discount at Squadron, and I can get Squadron credit for the membership?

And they want to talk to members at Mastercon? I've never made it to one in the entire history of the show and wont make it there this year.

If they want to know what we think, they know where to find us.

At this rate, I'm not going to be spending very much with Squadron in the future.

My US$0.02.

Mike
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 06:47 AM UTC
I'm not party to this, but I know those that are and were quite happy with a lovely discount, but folks, what I "read into this" is that it is no longer "cost effective" for there to be a "Masters Group." In plain English, from a retail point of view, they're losing money on it and will "dump" the program. I really wonder what that will cost them in the long run....like most retailers, in dollars not a lot, if any....in loyal customers....a whole lot. Alas, retail is retail....gawd I hated it......an' dats why I got's me a new job!

Bummer.

Mike
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,745 Posts
KitMaker Network: 221 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 08:38 AM UTC
heres some more info I asked them on their message board...

http://www.modelmecca.com/cgi-bin/messageboard.pl?class=&read=1495a1003

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 05:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not party to this, but I know those that are and were quite happy with a lovely discount, but folks, what I "read into this" is that it is no longer "cost effective" for there to be a "Masters Group." In plain English, from a retail point of view, they're losing money on it and will "dump" the program.

Not continuing an unprofitable buisness venture is completely understandable and acceptable to me.

Not communicating your intentions to a small group of long term highly interested customers in this day and age is inexcusable.
How long has it taken for them to decide to inform us as to their intentions? 4 months?!?
I asked them about this more than a month ago and their reply was they were putting together a letter for members.

And now this information seems to indicate that they will still not decide until August?
And the 'refund' will be in store credit at an undiscounted rate..

I'll take 'Bad buisness communications practices for $1000, Alex"

Quoted Text

I really wonder what that will cost them in the long run....like most retailers, in dollars not a lot, if any....in loyal customers....a whole lot.

I spent TONS of money (easily over 10k+) over the last ten years specifically because of the Masters Membership, preorder and backorders, impulse purchases, and seasonal sales.

This is a pittance for a company the size of MMD I realize, but I have to figure there are easily another dozen folks like me out there.

At this point, I cannot see myself spending 1/100th as much with Squadron over the next 10 years as I spent with VLS over the last ten.

They are a buisness, and they have every right to make money.
I am not upset at their analysis and decision to end an unprofitable program.

I am upset at the remarkably poor communications with an established customer base. It looks like I'll be using my AMPS discount and shopping elsewhere.

My US$0.02

Mike
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 08:22 PM UTC
I'm actually glad that I never did join the program and I've actually been thinking of doing so, as tempting as it was before the current situation developed because I'd be pretty pissed. I agree with the others in that Sqadron has every right to do away with a program that is not profitable for them but they should be communicating it clearly, openly and right up front to this group. They're still making a profit from selling to this small group compared to what they sell to retailers and even more important, they would be keeping this small group happy and loyal. Building loyalty is harder than losing it, sounds like Squadron could be headed in that direction of losing that long earned loyalty from a small group of dedicated buyers.

Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:58 PM UTC
I am totally upset at the way this was handled. My subscription to the masters group is up at the end of August. At this point I will not be renewing my membership.
I have a hobby shop in town that gives us 25% off, I will shop there and make sure he doesn't order any of the stuff I order from squadron.
mike
 _GOTOTOP