looking for kit in OIF
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 215 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 08:30 PM UTC
hi guys!

does anyone here know if there was any model kit made from the super truck that the US used to transport the M1A1 abrams tank in iraq? i dont know the name since i just saw it on CNN... if im not mistaken, it was made by mercedes benz.. the truck is kinda like the modern version of tamiya's dragon wagon.. but the dragon wagon brought shermans around europe in WW2.. and this truck brought M1A1's around in iraq? anyone know anything bout this?

oh and follow up question.. what brand of modelling kit makes 1/35 scale models of the MLRS?

thanks in advance guys!
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 09:26 PM UTC
Accurate Armor makes a resin M1070 HETT that is used to transport the M1A1 and other heavy US tracked vehicles. It is made by Oshkosh.

The MLRS is made by Dragon and comes in two versions, the standard US version and a NATO version. Unsure of the actual kit differences other than the decals. I think the US version includes rocket pods.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 09:40 PM UTC
There may have been some local comercial carriers doign some heavy hauling. But if the US was doing it it'd be the HET.....
http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=0&category=14&subcategory=20&product=1109
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 12:47 PM UTC
damn.. that resin kit is tight.. but so is the price tag.. if i buy it, i might not have enough money for college... thanks for all the help guys! i havent seen the dragon model for the MLRS here in the Philippines since the scale modelling community here is so small and the hobby shops arent that updated.. i used to call mu uncle in japan to send me tamiya kits when they go on sale.. hehe
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:30 PM UTC
The are several MLRS's on Ebay right now going for very good prices. I recently checked as I need to build three more, but I can wait. Shipping to the PI might be high. The HETT is a bit pricey. I have AA's Scammel Transporter about 10% built. It's not cheap either, but if you like resin, their kits are worth every penny.
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 10:40 AM UTC
just got a pic of the "tank transporter " i was talking about.. i think it was burnt during a gunfight or something.. but its still recognizable.. anyone know what it is?

arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The are several MLRS's on Ebay right now going for very good prices. I recently checked as I need to build three more, but I can wait. Shipping to the PI might be high. The HETT is a bit pricey. I have AA's Scammel Transporter about 10% built. It's not cheap either, but if you like resin, their kits are worth every penny.

thanks for the info bravo! i'll check them out and i'll see if i have the money to spare..
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 05:08 PM UTC
The truck you have pictures is not a HETT tank transporter. It is a PLS (Paletized Loading System), which is based on the HEMTT 10 ton truck. Italeri makes a model of the HEMTT.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 06:34 PM UTC
Yep..... it's a PLS......

arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 06:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The truck you have pictures is not a HETT tank transporter. It is a PLS (Paletized Loading System), which is based on the HEMTT 10 ton truck. Italeri makes a model of the HEMTT.

thanks for the info gino! does it have the capability to transport or "carry" an M1A1 or i just saw the wrong truck?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 07:04 PM UTC
No, a PLS can not carry a tank. They only have a 16.5 ton payload, an Abrams tamk weighs about 70 tons. The PLS is a cargo carrier.

They look like this:
 _GOTOTOP