Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Lie detectors in job interviews.
dropshot
Visit this Community
Provincia de Pontevedra, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 02:57 PM UTC
I`ve just seen an article on TV here in Spain about the use of polygraphs/lie detectors in job interviews. Yes of course it was voluntary (but if you don`t accept, you`re out ,right?) Now, the legality & ethics apart(because that would take up too much space ,argument & resolve little) made me wonder if it was quid pro quo,like they get 20 questions & I get 20 with both of us attached to the machine what questions should one ask? examples: Do you really think that you pull your weight being the boss? Have you ever abused your position of authority to take advantage of a female (or even a male)? If it had to be quid pro quo, like it should be, then they just wouldn`t happen. How long will it be before somebody is blindfolded, beaten, electrodes attached to their genitals & injected with sodium pentathol (voluntarily ,of course) for a job in a fast food joint? So then what questions would you ask the boss?
Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 850 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 03:18 PM UTC
'How do you think your employees see you?'

Dave
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 03:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How long will it be before somebody is blindfolded, beaten, electrodes attached to their genitals & injected with sodium pentathol (voluntarily ,of course) for a job in a fast food joint?

They waited until I was hired at my current (salaried) position before they started this procedure! LOL

C.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 09:47 PM UTC
20 plus years ago I had to take a polygraph for a job interview. Six months or so later when there was an incident at the job I had to take another one. I was never told the results of either one, but I was out of work for month while the results were tabulated, and I was transfered to another job. I swore then that I would never take another one. If they won't hire me, too bad for them. If they want proof of something I've done, or haven't done, then they can find it some other way. The one really bad thing about polygraphs is that while they are not 100% accurate if they screw up and make a mistake it's almost certain that they will say somebody is lying when they aren't than the other way round. So you've got everything to lose and nothing really to gain.
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 182 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 08:48 PM UTC
For a Lie Detector to work a person has to have a "conscience". Sadly the worst liars don't have one so have no trouble passing. I' ve worked for a few of these pscho's who did pass the tests.
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 10:53 PM UTC
I can lie quite fluently.
Not a good thing, but i can defeat a polygraph test.

I don't see the point in using one of these in a job interview. Everyone lies in their job interview, even a wee bit.
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 769 Posts
KitMaker Network: 219 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 10:54 PM UTC
It's actually not that hard to pass them, if you know the tricks
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 4,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 11:23 PM UTC
First off, a polygraph is not a lie detector. It simply measures blood pressure, pulse, respiration, and skin conductivity. The result show the body reactions to potential anxiety that may be associated to lies. The results are inadmissible for court purposes however within law enforcement and the corporate world they do have uses to further investigations.

There are Control questions, Stimulation questions, Irrelevant questions, and Relevant questions. Each has a specific function.

In the corporate world simple questions such as:
-Have you ever stolen money?
-Have you ever assaulted or sexually assaulted a fellow employee?
-Have you ever stolen or sold corporate information?
-Have you ever been charged with a criminal offence?
-Have you ever used illegal drugs at the workplace?

Wouldn't you as an employer want to know the answers to these questions?

More over in the corporate world the polygraph is done to complete a security clearance on a person.

Post polygraph interview questions regarding responses recorded to questions usually reveal the real truths and lies.

The use of a polygraph for job related security clearances is much different than for a job related internal investigation or Police investigation.

A polygraph examination does not work or not work based on "conscience". It is based on your body reactions and how they are interpreted. Try as hard as you can but you can't stop yourself from sweating when under stress.

It's not encouraging that so many of you know "tricks" on how to lie on a polygraph or have lied on a polygraph. I guess you just couldn't keep your secrets and had to type it here...people like to talk I guess.

If someone doesn't like it or has to lie to get a job then maybe someone shouldn't be applying for the job.

redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 270 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 12:03 AM UTC
It is kind difficult to get a response out of a business license. When a business gets a bad name or has its license revoked, they just get another under another persons name or incorporate with new officers.
or move to Dubai.