History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Best Anti-Tank Gun of World War II
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 05:31 AM UTC
There were many versions of the panzerfaust, the most common were the 30M, 60M, 100M, and 150M.. the m stands for Meters as in range of the weapon, the tube size varied from 4.5 cm to 6 cm and the warhead I've read from 100mm to 150mm as the common ones though a larger one was in the works.

what made it so deadly was the shaped charged warhead that could penetrate 150 to 200 mm of steel.

Here is an interesting link.

"New Hollow-Charge Antitank Grenade for Close Combat" from Tactical and Technical Trends october 1944

Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
entire network: 553 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 05:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Delbert-- why not that panzerfaust. Basis for the RPG. What mm is the panzerfaust?
DJ

Would you believe there's a site dedicated to the Panzerfaust and other German Infantry A/T weapons? Panzerfaust specs.

There were several types of Panzerfaust, with several types and sizes of warhead. There's also a section on the Bazooka and British PIAT.

The Bazooka
Bazooka specs Doesn't give armour penetration!

The British PIAT
PIAT Specs
British Weapons
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 04:15 PM UTC
Delbert/Jeff--- great websites. I wish we could figure out a way to place all these relevants website regardless of subject in a reference area for use. The British PIAT must have been something to fire. I read a story way back where a Soldier received the Victoria Cross for firing it from the sholder and getting several tanks. The remarks was, "he should have gotten it just for firing the PIAT from the shoulder." Good sites, thanks for sharing.
DJ
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 05:07 PM UTC
I guess the problem would be that so many worthwhile links are posted it would be a long and difficult job to archive in dedicated pages. Cataloging the links would be a fun job for any librarians amongst us.

(Just found this site: http://www.inert-ord.net/atrkts/index.html which come from http://www.inert-ord.net/index.html#home)
Back to topic - I can't help thinking that pound for pound the Panzerfaust series must have been some of the most effective anti-tank weapons used during WW2; they could be carried and fired by one soldier and were capable of knocking out any Allied AFV.

Then there was the Panzerschrek, http://www.inert-ord.net/atrkts/pschrek/index.html which was inspired by the bazooka...
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 07:24 PM UTC
Jeff--- that is some nice information. What we did at work was the establish categories for the various website we use in strategic planning. Then, we place the links under the heading. All in a Word document that connects you to a given site without a problem We could do the same thing here with a little effort and a given space on the site. What do you think?
DJ
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 05:32 AM UTC
Ah Ha! Just realised there is a links database available Here
Many of the links put up in forums are individual pages from much larger sites, so, if the main sites are good enough they can be submitted in the database, ready for vetting by Armorama administrators.

Yet another interesting link http://www.battlefield.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=category§ionid=10&id=44&Itemid=64 from 'The Russian Battlefield' describing Soviet armour piercing shot. This latter site is in the database, as is the site on the Panzerfaust. I'm adding one or two other sites to the database
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,866 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 05:39 AM UTC
I'll have to go with the Pak 40 on this one. Small, easy to deploy and very effective. To the GI's, every gun was an 88!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 04:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah Ha! Just realised there is a links database available Here
Many of the links put up in forums are individual pages from much larger sites, so, if the main sites are good enough they can be submitted in the database, ready for vetting by Armorama administrators.

Yet another interesting link http://www.battlefield.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=category§ionid=10&id=44&Itemid=64 from 'The Russian Battlefield' describing Soviet armour piercing shot. This latter site is in the database, as is the site on the Panzerfaust. I'm adding one or two other sites to the database

Jeff-- thank you. I figured someone was smarter than me and figured out how to do this long ago. Appreciate your feedback.
DJ
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 04:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll have to go with the Pak 40 on this one. Small, easy to deploy and very effective. To the GI's, every gun was an 88!

I have to agree with your conclusion. My Dad use to describe every tank they encountered in the ETO as a King Tiger. I'd show him pictures and he'd say, "that a Tiger." In reality, it was a Mark IV. People tend to see what they want to see. Having said that one should also appreciate the proliferation of 88's within the German military. Read any story of Anzio and they employed the 88 like a sniper rifle. Thanks for your response.
DJ
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,866 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 12:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have to agree with your conclusion. My Dad use to describe every tank they encountered in the ETO as a King Tiger. I'd show him pictures and he'd say, "that a Tiger." In reality, it was a Mark IV. People tend to see what they want to see. Having said that one should also appreciate the proliferation of 88's within the German military. Read any story of Anzio and they employed the 88 like a sniper rifle. Thanks for your response.
DJ

If the question was "what was the best dual purpope gun in WWII" then the Flak 88 would top my list. Fighting in Germany cities where there were scores of 88 Flak battaions made it hell on the Allies.
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 12:43 AM UTC
My vote's for the Pak 43/41 "Schuenentor". Big, honkin' 88mm gun, plus I built a model of one......

Bob
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 12:41 AM UTC
Bob-- and a very nice model! Nice job.
DJ
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 01:22 AM UTC
Thanks DJ....
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 04:59 AM UTC
I'm getting into this one a little late and I saw my sentiment expressed a few times. Auguments about criteria like ease of operation and penetration ability and all that are great, But like has been expressed...the 88 was feared. By EVERYONE who faced it British, Americans, and Russians. So you have to also include the "mythos" as a factor. Units would stop operations, seek other paths around them. sometimes all it took was a rumor. I like what was said I think by Sticky "to the GI's everyting was an 88." So that one gets my vote
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 07:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm getting into this one a little late and I saw my sentiment expressed a few times. Auguments about criteria like ease of operation and penetration ability and all that are great, But like has been expressed...the 88 was feared. By EVERYONE who faced it British, Americans, and Russians. So you have to also include the "mythos" as a factor. Units would stop operations, seek other paths around them. sometimes all it took was a rumor. I like what was said I think by Sticky "to the GI's everyting was an 88." So that one gets my vote

Well, the amazing thing I came across was that while the 90mm AA gun of British and American fame was quite capable of outperformning the 88mm, there were few if any instances of it being employed in a ground support role. I found this tidbit in a Ellis book on Anti-tank weapons. It is fairly dated information from the 1960's. Does anyone have any material to refute or support this claim?
thanks
DJ
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:34 PM UTC
Germany's PAK 40. It was everywhere and could do everything!