Hosted by Matt Leese
Question about Craftsman compressor
goldstandard
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 208 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:49 AM UTC
Hi, I was thinking about buying one of those hobby compressors, when I realized my dad has a Craftsman 6hp compressor with 30 gallon tank sitting in the garage. I think I can adapt it for airbrush use, but I am not sure what I should get. I know I will need a filter/water trap and an adapter. It is already set up with a hose that has a quick connect fitting on the end. Should I get a regulator as well?
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 02:04 PM UTC
Ahoy,

A filter/water trap, is a must but you should get the type that fits in the airbrush
airline and is mounted close to the actual airbrush as moisture often develops
in the airhose.

An reduction adaptor will also be needed to reduce the diameter of your
of the compressor output to your airline as this is much smaller.

Both these items are available from your LHS .... just mention the airbrush
type for the proper fitting.

Also the pressure gauge/regulator is necessary to control the amount of air being
released as airbrushing usually is done between 10 and 25psi depending
on the paint types/dilution and effects , that you will be doing.

Have a nice day,

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 03:26 PM UTC
The compressor has a regulator on it. all you'll need is a moisture trap and a spare quick connect to adapt that MT & Airbrush hose to it. It might be just a bit mor that a lone MT to get a MT/regulator combo.

Remember to keep the MT as close to the Airbrush (as far away from the compressor tank) as possible.

And Specific Q's PM me... and I'll awnser them... it's really easy to do.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 09:50 PM UTC
I use a smaller compressor but of a similar type to what you're looking at. I echo what the others have said about the pressure regulator, which your compressor probably already has, and moisture trap. One really nice thing, to me, about using a compressor with a tank like you describe is that you can fill the tank up once, then spray for a long, long time from the tank without having to have the compressor running. The one thing you need to worry about is you need to empty the tank regularly so that water doesn't pool in the tank and rust it out. I can fill my tank up on Sunday, then if I ever need to do some quick spraying through the week I can do so, then empty it on the following Sunday and start all over again. The air here in Colorado is so dry that I get very little moisture out of the tank when I empty it. If you live in California where the humidity is higher you may need to empty it more often.

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:02 PM UTC
I personally have a 30 gal in the garage... for Airtools..... I drain it about 6 times a year.... and there's only any major moisture in it during the summer. I have the small one I salvaged (Thanks Grumpy) in the basement for pressure casting and as a Backup incase I run out of CO2 (the main AB propelant.
goldstandard
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 208 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 06:16 AM UTC
The only thing I could find in the store was a regulator/moisturetrap combo. It was more expencive but it turns out to be more convienient. There is nowhere else to spray at my house except for outside, so I spray just outside the side door to the garage in the back yard. I used my sister's old vanity and some carbboard to make a somewhat ghetto looking spraybooth, and ran a hose though the garage and through an old mousehole out to the backyard. The vanity comes with a chair and a second shelf where I can keep my stuff, so I have everything where I need it without having to leave the chair. If I had just got the moisture trap I would have to walk back and forth whenever I wanted to adjust pressure.
 _GOTOTOP