_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Attending a model show
MrKipling
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 27 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 07:49 PM UTC
Part of the fun of scale modelling is the chance to attend a model show. You will find many others who share an interest with you and this is an opportunity to develop new contacts.

When you attend a local or national model show, here are some points to consider to allow you to get more enjoyment out of the event.

Read up on the event ahead of time. If you learn in advance what activities are scheduled, you won't miss something that might interest you.

By making a checklist of things you want to do and noting the times of banquets, seminars and swap meets (along with other events that are not time specific), you can prioritize your schedule.

Prepare a list of models and accessories that you intend to purchase. Much like grocery shopping on an empty stomach, if you are not careful you can get caught up in the excitement and buy way too much stuff.

Don't take more money than you are willing to spend and don't change your mind once you get there.

Hold off on making your purchases too early. Some dealers offer show specials and prices can vary widely between vendors. Take the time to view all the displays before making any purchases. Don't wait too long though, as items you wish to purchase can disappear rapidly.

Some events are more family oriented than others. If you do take your family, remember that they may not share your enthusiasm and plan some time in the trip to be able to do something that they will enjoy also.

If you go to any seminars or demonstrations, take notes. You are there to learn, write it down and you will remember it better.

Take a camera. The pictures you take will really help you remember the show later.

Most importantly - relax and have fun.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 08:15 PM UTC
What James said!

One other thing: offer to help with judging.

The organizers never have enough volunteers for this most important task. There are several benefits. First, you get to look at the entries far more closely than a regular spectator. Second, you learn what goes into a winning model.Third, you'll get an appreciation of the work that really goes into judging. And lastly, you'll get to meet other modelers more easily tahn if you're just hanging around.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 10:15 PM UTC
What James and Al said. I especially echo what James said about planning your shopping. The last show I attended I could have blown my wad just at the first booth I looked at. By waiting and checking all the booths out I was able to spend my limited money more wisely. Al, I did take the plunge and volunteer for judging at our local show next month. I'm really looking forward to it for all the reasons you mention.

The main thing is to enjoy and have fun.

_GOTOTOP