Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
? for the UK folks. what do u call chips.
mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 199 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 04:44 AM UTC
Right your really making me hungry. I could go for a nice fish supper covered in vinegar or a pie and chips or even better fried haggis and chips.Sigh ......maybe I should just stick with my diet.
mark197205
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,593 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 07:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I must have been doing it all wrong back when...close the bars then go to white castle for some "sliders"...
"Mayo on fries"?!...hmmmm, not me, that would be like putting ketchup on a hotdog{it's a chicago thing}. I'll take my jack daniels brats and kicker brats with alittle kraut and mustard thank you...but to each his own.
Now you guys got me all hungry with all this talk of food...I'm heading up for a bowl of Cheese popcorn and catch the rest of Lost.

Cheese popcorn? YUM!!!
airraid
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 277 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 12:35 AM UTC
In my younger less health concious days every Friday was chippy day.The chips were fried in beef dripping.Pudding ,chips and mushy peas.mmmm
dropshot
Visit this Community
Provincia de Pontevedra, Spain / España
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 09:58 PM UTC
I`ve been following this post with great interest but I do find it worth mentioning that the best chips are not frozen before frying.The beef dripping(or LARD for some readers) is just a fond memory for me also but corn oil is a fine substitute. Ketchup: Yuuk, mayonnaise: Yuuk, vinegar well just a light sprinkling (although it is usually labelled "non-brewed condiment" to comply with regulations). The newspaper wrapping went out when it was discovered that the printing ink was linked to cancer. It surprised me the last time I was in the UK how expensive it is to walk into a chip-shop. The bloke who posted the original question is now responsible for a few cases of astronomical cholesterol levels, high blood-pressure & one severe case of nostalgic home-sickness,.....I miss the Barracuda fish bar ,Duke Street ,Sheffield.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 04:59 PM UTC
Over here, we call crisps crisps, French fries chips, and chips potato wedges. The best thing with chips or wedges are chunks of Sri Lankan roast mustard pork, topped with raw onions. Accompanied by Lion Lager or arrack&coke of course.

A close second is the fav German accompaniment to chips (or pommes as they call it) -- currywurst! German sausage of choice, chopped up and dunked in curry sauce.
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 257 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 08:19 AM UTC
hi
if you live in yorkshire you have fish&chips
but if you live down south thay call them french fries
yours
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The local chippie round here makes the best chips and cheese this side of the equator.
Mild cheddar cheese, crunchy chips, a dab of mayonaisse, splash of ketchup and a pinch of salt.

(probably does bugger all for one's health mind you.)

Chips and cheese? With mayo and ketchup?

Oh Scott, what heathen part of the world do you live in?