_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
where to start
ben_smits
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 17 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 06:59 AM UTC
hi all i want to start modelling and just wanted to know what the most popular scale is at the moment i like 1/35 scale is this a good scale to start at?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 07:41 AM UTC
For variety and availability, yes. You also have many figures/figures sets and accessories in this scale.
ben_smits
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 09:14 AM UTC
what 1/35 model should i start with first like a tank or just somthing small
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

what 1/35 model should i start with first like a tank or just something small

I really think you should start with whatever interests YOU. If you pick up a kit just because we recommend it, and you're not interested in it, you may lose interest in the hobby altogether. If you like tanks, build a tank. If you like trucks, build a truck. If you want suggestions I'd go with an inexpensive kit that interests you. My first model after being out of the hobby for 30 years was a Tamiya M3 Lee. A good cheap Tamiya kit, one that fits your interests, preferably with a monotone color scheme so you don't have to sweat a complicated camo job would fit the bill great.

Just remember that none of the really great models you see on display was made as a first model. All these folks have a lot of practice. Pick a kit, build it, if you are happy with it, great. If not you can always get better on the next one.

ben_smits
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:30 AM UTC
ok thanks alot
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 02:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

is this a good scale to start at?

It depends in what you are interested in and what your intention is.

Modelling has several aspects.

The first aspect is, of course, the building itself. For this any scale is OK and other considerations like cost, difficulty of the model, will determine what you do best first.

I would not recommend to start with a very difficult kit. As already said in this thread the models that you see on this site are in many cases made by people with long experience. Do not expect the same result the first model you build. Also, it might be more rewarding in the beginning to make something easy and fast to build.

Another aspect is what you are interested in. I mainly build airplanes and helicopters because i am really fascinated with this highly technical world and the impact that these machines have on economy, military tactics and so on.

Further, If you become a "real addict" then you will most probably want to have a "collection" of models. The value of such collection seems higher if everything is of the same scale. It allows comparing the size of models, it allows making diorama, it allows using parts of less succesful builds to be used in diorama's...

Hence, it could be worth it to decide on the sacle you are going to work with.

If your main interest is airplanes then I would choose for 1/48 which, in my humble opinion, gives the best compromise between cost, building time, detail of the model.... The main scale for armoured fighting vehicles is 1/35.

In 1/35 you will also find some airplanes, in 1/48 there are also some AFV. There seems to be trend to make 1/48 and 1/35 into scales in which "everything" is available.

If you have no models yet then I would steer clear from 1/32 for airplanes. With the current emphasis on 1/35 (being almost the same size) this scale does not seem to have a lot of future anymore.

But all that is only a personal opinion

Happy building
ben_smits
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 04:37 AM UTC
ok thanks guys i bought my first model yesterday i got a 1/35 M551 sheridan and i have half built it
 _GOTOTOP