Putty
chuckjs
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 03:46 AM UTC
Aye Maties
I started building a 1/720 Revell USS Ronald Reagan. Strangely enough the hull came in 3 pieces. The hull was split for waterline or full hull build. The third part was a rounded addition to the bottom front of the hull.

So after gluing these 3 parts together there was a fair amount of puttying to be do to hide the lines. As I usually do, I masked what I did not want to get puttied with painters tape( Cheaper than the much better tamiya masking tape for large jobs).

So after waiting my usual 24hrs for it to dry I sanded. What I found disappointed my. The Tamiya putty seems to have a solvent in it that will react with the plastic leaving pock marks in the plastic. That is not exactly what I had in mind. After all the effort was to remove samll creases etc. The Tamiya created a whole new set of marks, that would show through paint.

I also build car models as well and I used a trick out of my car modelling book of tricks. I ran up to my local hardware/automotive store. There I purchased Bondo Spot/Glazing putty. This is the same stuff used in auto body shops for fixing minor dings.

This stuff is just great. It is very similar to body fill but has a much finer consistancy. It also happens to be about the same a red lead. It's consistancy is about twice as thick as Tamiya's. It is also considerably cheaper. $8.99 CAD for a 127gr tube as opposed to the Tamiya which here is $6.99CAD for 32gr. The putty dries in about an hour, which is a great time saving. It is very easy to sand and handles wet sanding without losing it's hardened properties. The down side is that it hardens quickly so you have to work a little faster(not rushing or anything) than with the Tamiya.

I used this putty over my original Tamiya putty job and after wet sanding you can see where it has filled in the marks left behind by the Tamiya putty. I highly recomend this stuff. The name Bondo is a brand name that is sold here in eastern Canada and I have no idea if it is sold outside the country. But I believe it is well worth a try.

Hope this helps out anyone interested.

Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 04:14 AM UTC
Yeah, Bondo's cool. I know too much Squadron Green Putty will warp and soften thin plastics but dries great.
I, personally use Bondo UV (Sun Activated) stuff because I can put it in the window and 20 minutes later, it's ready to sand.

Great stuff that Bondo! I can't remember his name, off hand, but there is a car modeler that does aaawwweeesssooommmeee work creating Bondo Bodies.
I'll look and edit later.

Cuhail
Lee-Enfield
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 272 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 08:50 AM UTC
Hey, Chuck, was the hardware/auto shop locally owned or part of a chain? (Short version: can I get it at Canadian Tire or Wally-World?) This stuff sounds great!
SlapHead
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 291 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:24 AM UTC
Hi guys,

If your getting this reaction you are using it way to thick. The putty is designed to be used in "thin sections only". Use it correctly and its great

Aj
chuckjs
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
entire network: 7 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 04:45 PM UTC
Lewis: I bought the stuff at Canadian tire in the Automotive section. Not sure about Wally World but you can probably get it there.

AJ: Thanks much for the advice. You are probably absolutely right about that. They are not small at all. I also noticed the stuff shrinks quite considerably. I think If I were to do the puttying with this Aircraft Carrier it would take a week or more to cover the seams using thin coats.

Murphy: If you find that guy and some pics I would love to see it.

Thanks Folks
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 08:10 PM UTC
I use an Auto body puty as well.... i thin it down with a bit of Tamiya Extra Thin Cement if it seems really thick
Lee-Enfield
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 272 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 08:26 PM UTC
Joel- Many thanks! Going to Can. Tire today, anyway, so the timing is perfect!

Matt- Gotta remember that one!

Another one I'm checking out is one I got at the hardware store I work at. It's "Trade Secret Fill Stick." It says it can be used on furniture, floors, woodwork, and plastic surfaces and can be coated with any finish. So, we'll see. It's available in a few colors, so maybe it could be used for mud? But anyhow, I don't know about you guys, but for the time being having to take stuff out and put stuff away all the time, I have a problem with things getting scratched up , so this might be the ticket in that department.
 _GOTOTOP