_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
New Color-Steel
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 02:26 AM UTC
I'm in the process of doing a review build and I needed a paint to do my tracks, so I came up with a couple of new colors for my paint lines. What do you think? Steel is on the left and the right is Steel over sprayed with a reddish aluminum to get a little highlight action.

goldstandard
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 208 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 03:43 AM UTC
Not sure what the most accurate tread is, but I think the plain steel one looks better personally. Looking at stock photos of tanks, usually the tracks are all muddy and dark anyways. However, after weathering and detailing the brighter tracks on the left should give better contrast than the dark one, if that is the effect you are after.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 10:22 PM UTC
I like the plain steel ones better as well, but if you are thinking of selling this colour, may I suggest:

a) going a bit lighter/brighter as it doesn't quite look bright enough to be burnished steel to my eyes

b) using a finer metal powder in the pigment as it appears (from the photos at least) that the metal flake is a bit large and out of scale.

I understand that it's only possible to do so much but just thought I'd pass on those thoughts.

Paul
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 627 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm in the process of doing a review build and I needed a paint to do my tracks, so I came up with a couple of new colors for my paint lines. What do you think? Steel is on the left and the right is Steel over sprayed with a reddish aluminum to get a little highlight action.

I spent many years around my Dad's heavy crawler equipment (cranes and dozers) and the way the steel tracks looked amidst the dirt, dust, grease, oil and even rust from occasional rain was more like the set on the right. The part that made contact with the ground showed wear as mostly silver steel in color.

Thanks, Gary
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 10:19 PM UTC
The picture didn't do the colors justice. The colors seem to be too blue when in fact the one on the left is steel gray. Anyway, thanks for your comments, the new paints are already selling well with nothing but positive feedback.
 _GOTOTOP