Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
1/35th Camo Netting
afromon_11
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 52 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 03:30 AM UTC
How would one go about scratch building camo netting? Materials etc...
FichtenFoo
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 329 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 03:37 AM UTC
Cheesecloth works well. I picked some up at a Michaels Crafts for around $6. It's a 2 sq yd package. I just colored some yesterday I'll be using as stowage. First I dipped it in water to make rolling it up easier. Then I rolled it up and used wire to secure it where rope (thread) will be later. I placed aluminum foil over my model where this will be placed (since it's draped), placed the netting into position, then colored it with cheap Apple Barrel acrylic paints thinned with water. Since the netting was already wet it soaked up the paint nicely. Since the acrylic paint is thick it works as a glue to keep the shape when it dries. Later I'll do a little drybrushing to bring out some highlights and dust it with some pigment powders.

I'm sure that the above would also work for covering a whole vehicle or using it as a "tent" of sorts. Wetting the cloth helps it drape and be shaped better.
Removed by original poster on 04/04/07 - 07:28:44 (GMT).
craftusiast
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
entire network: 10 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 06:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How would one go about scratch building camo netting? Materials etc...

I have some photo for your references.I hope can help you a bit.

I use bandage for camouflage net and tissue paper for other accessorys.Its easier to shape with.Use white glue to wet it and let it dry over night.Its will harden,so its make you comfortable when comes to painting part.Good luck

craftusiast
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 06:53 AM UTC
Another alternative is to use the netting that is used to wrap flower bouquets. Some of the holes can be quite fine and good match to 1/35.

The netting that comes with onions and garlic is a wee bit bigger but could be used if rolled up. The larger ones could almost pass over as PVC coated fencing.
 _GOTOTOP