_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Why is my Acrylic paint scratching off?
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 270 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 - 11:40 PM UTC
Why is my Acrylic paint (Delta Creamcoat) scratching off? The surface I am applying it to is cardboard saturated with wood glue. I have gotten it to work before. Am I Thinning it to much? Not mixed well enough? To old?
Any ideas?
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 12:56 AM UTC
How old is your paint? Also, it might not be mixed well enough. I work in acrylics almost exclusively, and I use Model Master, which has never done that for me. Oh, and what kind of conditions is your paint/cardboard in?
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 07:49 AM UTC
It may be that the cardboard backing with wood glue didn't provide enough 'grip' for the acrylic or that wood glue may have some oil-like properties to which the water-based acrylic doesn't adhere too.

I reckon there's proabably 2 ways to go about it. The best would be to prime the cardboard with an acrylic based primer or try and apply several thicker coats of acrylic paint. I'd would probably try the first option as it would be easier.
House
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 55 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 08:07 AM UTC
Too much thinner (if you are not using thinner then too much water.) If you are airbrushing, your pressure is too high and the paint is drying before it hits the surface. If there is too much glue in the cardbaoard you are basically setting up a resist and the thre is no true adheasion going on. I agree- prime it to give some bite. Lower the thinner to paint ratio a bit and give it a go.

House
 _GOTOTOP