_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
White Decal
Tobar
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 11:06 PM UTC
How do I make a "White Decal".
I need to make an Afrika Korp insignia, the white palm tree
with a white swaztika in the middle. 1/35 scale.

I have "Clear" and "White" decal film but I need a white design...

Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 01:07 AM UTC
I think there's two reasonable ways to come up with one. (or three, if you're mad enough to cut out the insignia from solid white decal film... )
You could print the insignia to clear decal film, but it's not possible with regular printers. (white being made with the absence of color)
Special ALPS printers can print white, but from what I've heard, they're quite expensive.
Another option is to hunt around for aftermarket decals, or left-overs from some kit decals.

Btw, what scale are you looking for?
I remember dragon's DAK Panzer I has some of those insignias. I could send you some, but I'm not sure if there'll any left over from the scheme that has them.
I'll check it out.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 03:25 AM UTC
As stated above, you can't easily or cheaply print white decals. Here are a couple options though.

You can print them on the white decal paper and color the area around the decal the same as your base color on the vehicle. It is called reverse printing.

Another option is to print it in a gray/tan color so it looks like a dirty white. This can be printed on the clear film. It has to be darker than the vehicle color though, or it will disappear into the background color.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:19 AM UTC
The best method is to silk screen the image onto clear decal film using white pigment. It's not as expensive as you would think, especially if you know someone in the business. Prepainted model railroad rolling stock is generally done this way, just not onto clear film.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 04:41 PM UTC
Apparently, the one scheme that has the DAK insignias uses two markings, the sheet has four (two styles are present, with a palm with long or short leaves), so I guess I have some spares.
 _GOTOTOP