History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
German propaganda company makeup
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 08:54 AM UTC
I tried looking up this topic on Google, but got so many answers that didn't answer my question, I hoped someone here would know. How exactly were German wartime propaganda companies arranged, where did they fit in with regular fighting units, how were they equipped, etc.?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 08:50 PM UTC
Tom I don't have any answers for you but I do have a question? What were propaganda companies? Were they just for the news reels, or what? I've never heard of them.

long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 10:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tom I don't have any answers for you but I do have a question? What were propaganda companies? Were they just for the news reels, or what? I've never heard of them.

I assume for news reporting, but I'm not positive. Their vehicles do carry their own license plates starting with "PK" (instead of say "WH" for the army, etc.) and they were attached to military units. Beyond that I don't know.
habicht
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 31 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 01:23 AM UTC
A "Propaganda Kompanie" had mutiple objectives. They were tasked with the information of the own troops, to collect pictures, new stories and such from the front for use in the propaganda at home and they were used in the psychologic warfare (in the wwII often called Agitprop, Agitation and Propaganda(the term is often connected with the communists, but it describes the matter quit good)). For example they printed leaflets, that were dropped behind the enemy lines. Or they operated loudspeaker trucks and so on. They tried also to counter the propaganda attempts of the enemy.

I have some resources about the pks, but they are all in german. If you like, i will try and translate some of the sources. Ive also the arrangment of such companies.

Regards

Jan
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 06:42 AM UTC
Why, thank you for offering. The idea I had was to show a German film crew at Stalingrad filming what was supposed to be a victorious battle-only to discover the opposite was happening.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:39 AM UTC
Very interesting stuff Jan. Thanks for sharing.
habicht
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:15 PM UTC
There was, as far as i know, at least a part of one company in Stalingrad present at the time of the surrender of the sixth army, Propagandakompanie 637. This company operated in the whole Frontarea of the sixth Army. But it might be, that other (prop-) units were temporary assigned to Stalingrad as well.

When there are more questions, ask freely...i will try to help.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2007 - 03:52 AM UTC
What sort of vehicle would contain a camera equipment and crew? I was thinking of using a Steyr 1500 vehicle that I am already in the midst of building, if that's OK. I think Azimut makes the appropriate camera equipment.
habicht
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:44 PM UTC
I'm not sure. The Steyr was probably in use with some PKs, but if it was used in Stalingrad...have to check this. But in general, it would be possible.....in the Front reporter platoon (not sure if this is the right term, kriegsberichter zug is it in german) of a motorised PK were two Filmrecordingtroops. Thats the unit you look for. They used different cars...in the unit rooster for the heavy platoon is listed: "1 light car, 2 middle, 4 heavy" Additionaly they used motorcycles and trucks. I think, the types used by the pks varied a lot. So, if there were Steyrs in Stalingrad, it would be possible that some were used by the Pk.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 02:48 AM UTC
Most of the photos of PK troops I've seen seem to be using impressed civilian style cars. I think there was a purpose built loudspeaker truck, with it's own Sdkfz number, but I forget which it was. If I recall correctly it was on a Horch 1a or Kfz15 style chassis, which might be a better bet for Stalingrad. If you get down to front line level, I think the photographers were probably attached to a unit HQ (perhaps @ regiment level?), & "tagged along" with a combat unit. At least this is the impression I get from the way it was done in the Waffen SS. SS war correspondents (Kriegsberichter) all belonged to the regiment "Kurt Eggers"for organisational purposes, named after a corresponent killed in action. Photos of them show they wore similar uniforms to the rest of the SS with yellow signals waffenfarbe, so this may be the way the army did it too.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 03:15 AM UTC
So rather than a PK vehicle, just show a cameraman with a vehicle from one of the surrendering units. Makes more sense. Thanks.
habicht
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:21 PM UTC
The SS had their Kriegsberichterstatter Platoons almost always permanently attached to a certain unit. In the heer was this uncommon. This might explain why there are more photographs about SS Units then about others.