_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Tamiya's Light drying putty...
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 258 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 07:44 PM UTC
I tried this putty yesterday just to test it out. There was a bit of oil on top of the putty as I opened the tube, which I took out. I then applied the putty on my model and left it under fluorescent light, like the instructions say. Hours later, it is still not very hard. What am I doing wrong?
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 06:38 AM UTC
Nevermind. It looks like it had just a thin soft layer on top but it was very hard under it.
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
entire network: 5,653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 10:00 AM UTC
Hi Ion!

The exact same thing happened to me the first time I used that stuff. It was not long ago (see here). The problem with that putty is that even if it is has hardened after 2mn, it still looks soft!

The Tamiya Putty is expensive stuff though. Were did you get yours?

Jean-Luc
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 05:08 AM UTC
I saw your feature, Jean Luc and that actually reminded me to try some (bought it a month or two ago and never used it since) on the model I'm building now. The putty was ~$13 from www.greatmodels.com

It seems to be about twice as expensive as regular putty, but I will buy some again when I run out. I didn't have too much sun outside these days, but I like it either way.
socko47
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 29 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nevermind. It looks like it had just a thin soft layer on top but it was very hard under it.

This material appears to me to be similar to composite resins used in dentistry. The surface does not cure due to its exposure to oxygen, known as the air-inhibited layer. This wet layer will allow additional layers to bond. You could either overbuild to allow removal of the uncured portion or coating the layer before curing with light. Something like glycerine or water based lubricant (KY jelly) to allow easy removal should work.

Joe
 _GOTOTOP