Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Need tips on honymoon destination (Greece)
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
entire network: 1,236 Posts
KitMaker Network: 153 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 03:27 AM UTC
Hi guys,
I'm going to get hitched in a few months and was hooping that some of u could give me a few tips on the destination.
The soon to be wife wants to go to Greece and I thought seeing this is such a international site I was hooping that some of the greek members or people who have been to greece could give me a few tips on where to go and what there is to do.
Looking for some sand sea and sun. And (some )site seeeing aswell.
So does any one have some tips ?

Thanks
Jan-Willem
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 03:29 AM UTC
Jan-Willem

I can recommend Crete as an Island that caters for all - great beaches, wild nightlife - or quiet restaurants, and as the centre of the Minoan civilisation some great ruins. If you know the legend of the Minatour and the labarinth - that was based around the Palace of Knossos - a small amount of Info here.

I had a lads Holiday in Malia a few years back - it's a bit of a party town, but there are quiet bits as well.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you and your future wife for your wedding.

All the best

Andy
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 03:38 AM UTC
Howdy janwillem

First.....allow me to wish you a hearty "Congratulations!!" on the getting "hitched" part of your post. You are indeed a lucky man to have found someone special enough to tolerate those of us who embrace this modeling world of ours and give us the space we sometimes need. I found someone like that, but was stupid enough to not hold on tight enough.......
Anyway, your significant other's choice of Greece is superb! I have always wanted to travel to Greece.....wish I could be of more help travel-wise, but will simply stand in support of your choice.

Enjoy yourself!

Tread.
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 04:05 AM UTC
Thank you guys,
I know I am lucky to find some one who tolerates al the plastic parts through out the house and me beeing in the attic for days sniffing gleu.
And thanks for the crete sugestion.
But keep the ideas comming in

Jan-Willem
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 07:40 AM UTC
Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! My wife and I travelled to Greece in 2003 and spent more than a week in Athens, and a week in Hersinossis, Crete. My recommendations: Do not forget your drivers' license, particularly if you want to rent a scooter or a car . Walk around Athens as much as possible, and I loved the several bus tours around the mainland that we took including Esclipius' spa (spelling? The father of medicine). They serve every brand of beer imaginable in Greece, but the local lager is Mythos. Day cruise to Santorini... very romantic.
Best of luck!
Mike
MTDriver
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 08:00 AM UTC
Hi JanWillem,good choice for holiday/honeymoon.We have been going to the Greek islands for 10 years now,just fantastic.Crete is great with a lot of diversity in attractions.One small island that we went to a couple of years ago was Lefkas,the beauty of this place was its mainly unspoilt by tourism,and its actually connected to mainland Greece by a road bridge. There is also a guy who runs a fantastic boat trip in a replica bireme(no oars tho!) that takes you to secluded beaches for a barbie and around Scorpios,the Onassis owned island.Do take your drivers license as you can hire a vehicle to take you to some of the more remote places.Mythos beer is good.Try to learn some Greek phrases,its much appreciated by the locals.I would definately reccommend Greece.Good luck in your future with the missus,and you'll have to let us all know how you got on.
Regards......Dave
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 08:00 AM UTC
I had a great time in Greece many moons ago while in the Navy. I enjoyed every port we visited, and found the people extremely friendly and helpful, and willing to go out of their way to make sure I found what I was looking for. I still have some dishes and silver wear I bought there, yes, after all these years, and moves. My greatest score was a genuine GrammerPhone, I picked up at the flea market for a hearty $25.00. Had that all the way up until the flood. The fun part was my buddy and I each bought one, and the guy threw in a bunch of Greek 78RPM records, since it had no volume on it we both drove everyone over the edge playing it while at sea. I don't think there are too many places you can go, and not be surrounded by history, and amazing sites and have a good time. But my favorite port in Greece was and always will be Athens. I spent most of my liberties at the Acropolis in Athens. (In-between dinners and bouts of Ouzo and dancing and other Navy pass times!)

Congratulations on the Marriage. Live long and prosper.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 4,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 08:40 AM UTC
I suggest getting a place in Athens near a beach...lots of sun and water. It allows you to take day trips into the heart of Athens and come back and honeymoon in the evening.

Then take a ferry and stay on Santorini...it is a great place with very tasty wines and awesome sights like no other place....there are theories it sits on the edge of ancient submerged Atlantis. I would go back to Santorini in a heart beat.

http://www.santorini.net/home.html
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 02:28 PM UTC
Thank you guys for the reply's.
It is nice to get some tips from people who have been there.
Crete and Athenes are taking the lead so I'll be taking a closer look at these two.
But if someone has some other suggestions let me know

Thanks guys,

Jan-Willem
wizard179
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 251 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 02:55 PM UTC
I have travelled through the Greek islands a couple of times as a single guy and I have always wanted to take a significant other to Rhodes and Santorini.

In Rhodes City, a lot of the accomodation is within the old city, which is wthin the walls of the old Crusader fort. When I was there, in the evenings a guy was playing soft acoustic guitar in one of the city entrances, I think it was the north gate, and I found it really stirring. In some of the quiet sections you could almost hear the rattling armour of the knights posted on the walls many centuries ago.

Santorini, is the archetypical Greek island. I am sure you will be familiar with the pictures. If you go there, go to Akrotiri, its the remains of the original minoan civilisation city. It was buried under the volcanic ash of the eruption that split the caldera. It was one of the most world-shattering experiences I have ever had. Just remember the street you're walking down is close to 4000 y.o.....

Of course, if you want to party like there is no tomorrow and can handle a predominantly gay environment, Mykonos is your island. If you're into getting really, really , REALLY drunk with a bunch of Australian, New Zealand, Irish, South African and British then you should try Eos.

And my travelling tips;
Say"thank you" in Greek - phonetically its close to efkharisto
Allow a day or 2 within your plans to account for the ferries... the Greek ferry timetable is one of the greatest works of fiction known to the civilised world.

Congratulations on your marriage. I hope you have a great day and a great honeymoon.

Cheers
Wiz
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 03:22 PM UTC
Congrats on thre marriage my friend . I hope you have a wonderful life .

Your calls for honeymonn, besides a 2-3 days visit in Athens could be one of the Kykladic Islands or Crete . Mykonos, Paros , santorini, or Crete can serve the sea and sun demands along with good services and nice people.

Mykonos and santorini are more pricey islands , Paros not that much . Gor historical reasons and because of the big size i might give a shot to Crete.

Nice small mountain villages and nice seasides canbe combines along with daily excursions to some of the regions of Crete .

if you need anything more in particular i d be happy to assist !!!

costas
MTDriver
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 02:14 PM UTC
Hi,some Greek phrases you may find useful;
Signome parakello-Excuse me please
Meaeah beerah-one beer (beer is a fem,so its not enah beerah!)
Kalimeerah-Good morning
Endax-OK
Gleeko morro-Sugar baby(always good for a laugh,especially for the ladies!)
Ocki provlima-No problem
These are phonetic pronuciations that I have picked up.Crete is very good as I said prev,if you like a really mad night life,Malia is the place.
All the best...Dave.
AndyD
Visit this Community
entire network: 672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 04:57 PM UTC
So just how much "partying" did you do on Mykonos Wiz?

wizard179
Visit this Community
entire network: 251 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 05:43 PM UTC
@AndyD

A LOT! 2 weeks to be precise. I'll show you the video I took at Paradise beach one day...
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 02:51 AM UTC
Malia is indeed a party town :-), but if you try in the old town, you can find some proper Greek restaurants (with greeks eating in them), and you get treated like kings!! - Do remember, that hilst in Spain things happen Manjana - in Greece they are no where near as quick - gran a beer/glass of wine, sit back and relax!!!!

Andy