_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
First Contest
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 12:33 AM UTC
Hi fellow modelers.
Okay I am fixing to enter my first contest ever real one in march so what should I do enter as novice as I have never entered a contest ,intermediate which means I am up against same people who enter all the time and they usually win. So any help on this would be appreciated. I am entering the 8" howitzer.
thanks
Jeff
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 01:53 AM UTC
I don't like contests : you may be up against experts who have huge experience, lots of time and unlimited resources. Which means you get home frustrated.
Basically there's only one way to win a contest (which seems to be your ambition) : make the best dio in its cathegory.
Consider the criteria that the jury will use to evaluate your performance :
- how good is your ground work ? (does it look real ?)
- how good is your armor/vehicles/plane built ? (no seams, traces of glue, ...)
- how well is it painted ?
- do your soldiers look natural ?
- is everything in the same scale or are some things out of scale ?
- how are your soldiers painted ?
- how original is your diorama content ?
- etc, etc, etc...

Quite a challenge if you want to be the best.

I prefer to join a "campaign" on Armorama rather than a contest prize. There's plenty of fun in preparing the work and exchanging experience with others.
If you want to build a diorama rather than a "loose" model, I advise you to look for the second diorama campaign, that is set to kick of in a week from now... You'll learrn a lot of diorama skills and tricks. And boy is it fun !

(and there's also a DSB campaign... Why not try that one ?!
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 02:54 AM UTC
I enter a contest from time to time.I just build a good kit,and bring it in to enter.If I get a prize,great,but if not,I did show off what I can do,and the more people that bring in something,the better a show looks.It is a bit discouraging to only see a handful of entries at 1 category in a show.Isay,do a good job,and show it off...
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 05:08 AM UTC
I love going to shows. I usually take something even if I know I don't have a chance of winnning (like a contest that I know Gunnie will be at). I enjoy looking at all the models that others have build. There is something neat about seeing them in person and I figure that if I am going to be looking and talking about the other models there I should have something on the table myself. It is nice to win but the funnest part to me is the inspiration I get from seeing all the other projects. I know I have a lot to learn because the ones that are my favorites usually don't win, but that doesn't change the way I feel about them.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 06:18 AM UTC
Ahh the world of model expos!! I have been entering shows for over 20 years..It's getting to a point where I don't even bother registering my kits ...I rather just expose them and answer questions from people who are interested...There are people in our club who just can't wait to win....Hey get over it !! I think if you go to a show thinking you will meet people with the same passion as you and ask lots of questions and not care if you win or lose ,you will have a great time .See what's being made and where your kit fall best into the categories..Ask the people at the front desk what they would do and what category you should place it in ...Also in most shows if you are in the wrong category the judges will do the switch for you .. Just remember it 's a hobby and it is fun .

Rick
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 07:18 AM UTC
I enter shows, but not for the awards or recognition. (I have other interests that I'm better at that I compete in for recognition and awards) I treat them as a big show and tell. There is always somebody better and always somebody worse than me. I go to see other peoples work and enjoy the company of people who share a common interest. Don't worry too much about what category you are in, just stick it out there for the world to see and have some fun.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 07:48 AM UTC
I have had both good and bad contest experiences. Just when I was convinced you didn’t stand a chance winning in the diorama category without a Tiger I or a King Tiger I took a dio with Dragon’s Marines in winter gear from Korea and Italeria’s 105 howitzer. I won best of show. That was the last time I ever won anything. Being basically a scratch builder when it come to the buildings on the dioramas I put together it seems to me that more often than not I get out spent, not out built. Two huge German tanks with zimmerit that they bought and glued on (I melt mine in or do the putty thing) with tons of after market PE (I make my own out of foil) sitting on a resin slab of cobblestone (I carve mine out of a layer of spackle) set next to buildings made out of plaster they bought and painted (I cast and carve my own out of plaster of paris) in rubble they bought out of a bag.
Don’t get me wrong. I ain’t ladyin’ but dioramas are essentially kits now, too. Twenty years from now no one will know how to stretch sprue to make an antenna because there are “more realistic” after market antennas out there.
In the end analysis I build these things for me. The feedback that I have gotten from you folks on this site has inspired me to actually build again, instead of just reading about it. Take the models to the show. When the rivet counters start in on you remember how much fun you had putting it together.
Sorry if I went off…
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 09:22 AM UTC
Whatever you build Jeff,stick it in and enjoy the crack,there is always someone out there who goes WOW!"i wish i could do that",and blow smoke at the rivet counters.
Arthur
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 10:36 AM UTC
Thanks for all the replies I know most of the contests are rigged you know all the locals win . SURE JIMMY OR BUBBA YOUR MODEL IS IN THEIR SURE BURP I CAN VOTE FOR YOURS
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 10:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't like contests : you may be up against experts who have huge experience, lots of time and unlimited resources. Which means you get home frustrated.
Basically there's only one way to win a contest (which seems to be your ambition) : make the best dio in its cathegory.
Consider the criteria that the jury will use to evaluate your performance :
- how good is your ground work ? (does it look real ?)
- how good is your armor/vehicles/plane built ? (no seams, traces of glue, ...)
- how well is it painted ?
- do your soldiers look natural ?
- is everything in the same scale or are some things out of scale ?
- how are your soldiers painted ?
- how original is your diorama content ?
- etc, etc, etc...

Quite a challenge if you want to be the best.

I prefer to join a "campaign" on Armorama rather than a contest prize. There's plenty of fun in preparing the work and exchanging experience with others.
If you want to build a diorama rather than a "loose" model, I advise you to look for the second diorama campaign, that is set to kick of in a week from now... You'll learrn a lot of diorama skills and tricks. And boy is it fun !

(and there's also a DSB campaign... Why not try that one ?!

Just stand alone model Jan no figs hell most of the folks who enter can whip pants off a lot of people painting figs just ask Anders he knows he use to be around this neck of the woods!!!
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 01:21 PM UTC
The best thing you can do is go to have fun. Don't worry about winning or not winning, either way, people will enjoy seeing your work. There will always be someone who sees your model and goes Wow that's awesome I hope I can get that good, and there will of course always be someone better. I entered my first contest in Feb. and did it solely to exibit my work, not to win trophies.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 02:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The best thing you can do is go to have fun. Don't worry about winning or not winning, either way, people will enjoy seeing your work. There will always be someone who sees your model and goes Wow that's awesome I hope I can get that good, and there will of course always be someone better. I entered my first contest in Feb. and did it solely to exibit my work, not to win trophies.

But you know how us Americans are hate to lose at anything we do,from sports to whatever not the American way
 _GOTOTOP