_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Build-A-Tool David's Chopper
D_J_W
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
entire network: 436 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 01:53 AM UTC
Hi all,
I have been looking at making a chopper for sometime and came up with this design about the time the campaign was announced.

1. The components

a. one audio cassette case
b. one single sided razor blade
c. 3 small screws & 3 small nuts and bolts
d. 1 off off cut of MDF

2. The Hinge Base

Cut a 25mm (approx0 strip off the cassette case lid and bevel off the end as per picture.

3. The Cutting Arm

Cut a strip off the cassette base. It needs to be deep enough for the razor blade to clear the base of the cutting arm (the side of the case) while the base of the safety cap rests on the arm (the cut edge) (see photo

Hinge base and cutting arm. Cut off the original case hinge before it breaks off.

Drill 3 holes in the Hinge Base to take the screws, two roughly on the centre line and the same distance in from the ends. Drill a third hole at the lower edge of the hinge end, this stops the hinge from flexing when cutting.

To get location of these holes, hold the razor blade against the cutting arm and mark the location of the holes for the two bolts to secure the blade. Then mark the hole for the hinge. Drill the holes to suit the bolt size (in my case, 3mm).

Once you have drilled the holes in the cutting arm, fit the razor blade and with the cutting edge resting on a flat surface and the hinge base on cassette case lid (not shown in photo, see next), mark the the location of the hole for the hinge in base.

Once the Chopper was assembled, I then took the old lid and cut off the remainder of the top and cut a small channel for the blade to fit into. This needs to be at 90 to the longest edge. (As per photo

Finally, fix the Chopper to a piece of MDF with the 3 screws. I also cut two triangles from the old cassette base, one 45 and the other at 30/60.

90 cut.

45 cut.

Note: I cut the Hinge and Cutting Arm from the right hand side of the cassette case, because this suits me, being right handed. If you are left handed, I would suggest you use the left side of the case.

Happy chopping and watch those finger tips

cheers
David
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 01:57 AM UTC
WoW, I first thought you were talking about a bike.
Looks good, and a good idea to boot.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 02:22 AM UTC
Very Intersting idea!!!!!
mark197205
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,593 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 06:30 AM UTC
An excellent idea, and a great way to recycle those old cassette boxes, I can see these turning up on modelling benches the world over.
 _GOTOTOP