_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Fixing warped parts
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2003 - 03:04 PM UTC
I have a (major) problem with my Tamiya Famo. The large flatbed piece is warped, bending up at one of the corners. I thought it might straighten itself out once I glued all the sides onto it, but it did not, compounding my problems most likely. Does anyone know how I can fix this? It's pretty madening when this happens with a $200 model

Nic
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2003 - 03:14 PM UTC
Bad news Sorry to hear about that.
I would definitly experiment on spare parts and styrene sheets.
What I would do is get a sheet of styrene the same size and thickness and try to heat some water, I wouldn't go to a boil. The try and sandwich it between a stack of books after heating it in the water for a few minutes.
Either that or a hair dryer. Try and apply gentle heat to loosen the plastic a bit. Then put pressure on it with heavy loads.

Maybe heat and resin in place. Heat it up and then glue it in place with resin to give it a bit of extra hold (assuming there is something to hold it with)

Thirdly - Call Tamiya - I once had a problem with thier 1/32 F4 and they shipped me a replacement part, no questions. Look on thier web site for a 1800 customer service #. What can they do - say no? You're no worse off and if they say yet the Yahoooo.

Good luck.. if I think of anything else I'll post again.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2003 - 04:31 PM UTC
I did come up with one idea: Put some fuel barrels in the back and fill them with lead or something. The weight should flatten things out a bit. What do you think of that?

Nic
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2003 - 06:35 PM UTC
Hey Nic,

If you can wait, contact Tamiya USA and ask for a replacement part.

Dave
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2003 - 11:50 PM UTC
If you can still get the part loose the hot water will usually work. You said it's a flat part so maybe you can clamp it between two pieces of wood, dunk the whole thing in hot water to soften, then cool in place. Also if you have a part that's impossible to clamp it works to dunk, reshape, then quench in cold water...this sets it in place immediately....worked like a charm when I tried it.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 05:17 AM UTC
The lead barrels will probably throw the whold model off I would think. I would try the water or contact tamiy for a replacement part.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 06:03 AM UTC
Up here in Canada ,all you have to do is call Borgfeld(the distributor) I did this with a set of decals and recieved a new sheet the next week ..I think the # is on thier sticker if not ask your hobby shop for the # ,he'll give it to you if you ask...

Rick
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 04:26 PM UTC
Boil a pot of hot water on the stove. Dipthe piece in for ten seconds, the take ot and bend back to place. It usually works. Be careful, or ele you will be screwed out of a flatbed Melting being the result.

-Chip :-)
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 06:52 PM UTC
The hot water followed by cold to set it did the trick. The part is just about perfectly straight now. Thanks for the advice guys.

Nic
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 - 06:51 PM UTC
well, I learned something from that. I usually glue the hell out of it and then sit there and hold it in place for an hour or so. Dummy me
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 - 08:21 PM UTC
Yesterday I used hairdryer to shape up a warped part. It was rather big and it took some time but I did it... You just need to be patient and not try to do it all at once as you could melt the plastic easily; couple of sessions in the "beauty parlour" and you part will be perfectly shaped.

Mario M.
 _GOTOTOP