_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Custom Decals
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2003 - 01:07 PM UTC
I have a quick question about Custom decals... I'm planning on making a whole buch of custom decals for a future project (I want to make a 'personalized' P-47 [or maybe an Me-262...] with custom nose art etc.) and have a few questions... How good do they come out? Is it largely dependant on your printer? Any success/disaster stories?

Any help is appreciated.
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 652 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2003 - 01:11 PM UTC
There are several brands of both clear and white decal film available. I have used several and have found them all to be excellent.

In order to use an ink jet printer to print decals, you must first prep the surface so it will take the ink without beading. I use Model Master clear flat lacquer and an airbrush. Use high pressure and keep the tip far enough away from the film so that the lacquer is drying as it is hitting the surface, the goal is to have a rough surface for the ink to grab.

I use a variety of programs to make decals but use PowerPoint the most. I scan graphics and import them in as well. For stenciling, I use an Arial font and a font size of 2 to 8 depending on the scale and application. For best results is best to have a printer capable of producing photo quality. Other printers will do but the quality will not be as good. I always print on "best" quality. be careful handling the sheet until the ink dries or it will smudge. If you mess up, go over it quickly with a damp rag.

The inks are water soluble and will come off as soon as they hit water so you must now make them permanent. I spray Model Master Glosscote or clear gloss lacquer over them, two coats is usually sufficient. I let them dry overnight and apply them the next day as I would any other commercially made decal.

Taken fom Scott Murphy's site.

HTH
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 151 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2003 - 01:20 PM UTC
Thanks alot. I just need to pick a good moniker and spend some time working on the art... Will take a while, but it will be a lot of fun.
REMF11M
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 181 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2003 - 01:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There are several brands of both clear and white decal film available. I have used several and have found them all to be excellent.

Which one do you find to be the best?
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 652 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2003 - 01:38 PM UTC
sorry Remf....This was taken from here . . http://members.tripod.com/scottsmodels/tips.htm
I haven't done any decals YET.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2003 - 08:00 PM UTC
Scott Murphy is the best!!!! I love that guys work!! I have also drooled over his method of doing decals. I'm gonna try sometime soon...

Very Soon...

Someday...
 _GOTOTOP