_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
photo etch questions
rjeffs2501
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 120 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 08:45 AM UTC
i am terrified of PE sets. the ones i have tried in the past and ended up placing the bent out of shape metal in a unmarked box and put into a dark, cold place; then searching for a first aid kit.
on a serious note, i want to learn how to do PE and simply dont know what i am doing. are their special tools to get the bend done correctly at an affordable rate and what kind of clue to use? krazy clue maybe? so if anyone can point me to a pref. topic or can simply give me some needed advice i would appreciate it. thanks

Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 02:17 PM UTC
There are tools that you can use - Hold 'n' Fold or Etch-mate are two that spring to mind - you'll have to Google them for prices and suppliers your side of the pond. If the outlay is two much, a stell rule and a sharp #11 blade is a good starting point.

HTH

Andy
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 05:05 PM UTC
Robert,
One of the other important issues to remember when working with PE, whether using a steel rule or tool, is to anneal the item.

To do this simply, heat the part in a gas flame until it glows cherry red, a matter of seconds is all that is required, then let it simply cool in the air, again seconds. You will find that the metal is now mallable and will fold or bend much easier.

One thing, very small item scan be annealed, but you have to watch or they may turn into a molten globule. I tend to do things like tool clasps etc, as they come off the fret. When you anneal metal, there is much less chance of getting fractures.

I hope this helps you, have fun.

John
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 11,669 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 05:57 PM UTC
Eduard .cz has a tutorial on PE and we discuss it on the Early Aviation title here pretty regularly.
rjeffs2501
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 09:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There are tools that you can use - Hold 'n' Fold or Etch-mate are two that spring to mind - you'll have to Google them for prices and suppliers your side of the pond. If the outlay is two much, a stell rule and a sharp #11 blade is a good starting point.

HTH

Andy

thanks, andy. what about the clue. i have read to use CA glue, is that krazy glue or something else. unfortunately on this side of the pond where i live, hobby shops are far and in between. the internet helps but sometimes the shipping is more than the item.
rjeffs2501
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 09:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Robert,
One of the other important issues to remember when working with PE, whether using a steel rule or tool, is to anneal the item.

To do this simply, heat the part in a gas flame until it glows cherry red, a matter of seconds is all that is required, then let it simply cool in the air, again seconds. You will find that the metal is now mallable and will fold or bend much easier.

One thing, very small item scan be annealed, but you have to watch or they may turn into a molten globule. I tend to do things like tool clasps etc, as they come off the fret. When you anneal metal, there is much less chance of getting fractures.

I hope this helps you, have fun.

John

have to give it a try, thanks john.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 09:39 PM UTC
Robert,

CA glue is Krazy glue....super glue. I have two bottles I use: thin and thick. The thin will set in 3-5 seconds (gotta be quick!) and the thick will set in 15-20 seconds (gives you time to place the part). The brand I use is Insta-Cure and was picked up at the local hobby shop for about $3 a bottle. Something else to get is an accelerator....it's a spray that will just about instantly set the CA glue. Warning tho....if you get CA on you and hit it with the accelerator, it'll burn!

Mike
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 03:02 AM UTC
Definitely look into getting some Loctite control super glue, the applicator is outstanding and I'm finding it's making my neophyte adventures into PE more manageable.
 _GOTOTOP