History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
quotation: "Do anything with nothing......"
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 02:58 AM UTC
Hi all...

To where (or to whom) in history is this famous quote attributed....

"We have done much, with so little, for so long we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing, forever".

I've seen this shown as quoted by the marines, the seebees, etc. I'm wondering where it actually comes from and maybe who said it first. It's part of the lexicon now but it had to have come from somewhwere?

thanks;
Bob

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 03:53 AM UTC
Google is your friend:
"We, the unwilling,led by the unknowing,are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much,for so long,with so little,we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. "
Mother Teresa
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 182 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 04:07 AM UTC
Hey! That's where I work! :-) :-) :-)
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 12:27 PM UTC
You recognize these then??

"Once committed to an attack, fly in at full speed. After scoring crippling or disabling hits, I would clear myself and then repeat the process. I never pursued the enemy once they had eluded me. Better to break off and set up again for a new assault. I always began my attacks from full strength, if possible, my ideal flying height being 22,000 ft because at that altitude I could best utilize the performance of my aircraft. Combat flying is based on the slashing attack and rough maneuvering. In combat flying, fancy precision aerobatic work is really not of much use. Instead, it is the rough maneuver which succeeds"

"Of all my accomplishments I may have achieved during the war, I am proudest of the fact that I never lost a wingman."

"It was my view that no kill was worth the life of a wingman. . . . Pilots in my unit who lost wingmen on this basis were prohibited from leading a [section]. The were made to fly as wingman, instead."

"You can have computer sights of anything you like, but I think you have to go to the enemy on the shortest distance and knock him down from point-blank range. You'll get him from in close. At long distance, it's questionable."

"I opened fire when the whole windshield was black with the enemy . . . at minimum range . . . it doesn't matter what your angle is to him or whether you are in a turn or any other maneuver."

"See, decide, attack, reverse."

"Every day kill just one, rather than today five, tomorrow ten . . . that is enough for you. Then your nerves are calm and you can sleep good, you have your drink in the evening and the next morning you are fit again."

"If he is superior then I would go home, for another day that is better."
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 05:54 AM UTC
Thanks Al. That was a surprise..!! I really didn't expect Mother Theresa was the answer. I was sure it was some leatherneck down in the mud somewhere that said it first. But I suppose considering what she was all about, coming from Mother Theresesa is very fitting...

thanks;
Bob

Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2007 - 07:15 PM UTC
"It is fascinating to watch the reactions of the various pilots. They fall into two broad categories; those who are going out to shoot and those who secretly and desperately know they will be shot at, the hunters and the hunted. The majority of the pilots, once they have seen their name on the board, walk out to their Spitfires for a pre-flight check and for a word or two with their ground crews. They tie on their mae-wests, check their maps, study the weather forecast and have a last-minute chat with their leaders or wingmen. These are the hunters.

The hunted, that very small minority (although every squadron usually possessed at least one), turned to their escape kits and made quite sure that they were wearing the tunic with the silk maps sewn into a secret hiding-place; that they had at least one oilskin-covered packet of French francs, and two if possible; that they had a compass and a revolver and sometimes specially made clothes to assist their activities once they were shot down. When they went through these agonized preparations they reminded me of aged countrywomen meticulously checking their shopping- lists before catching the bus for the market town."
thehannaman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 279 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2007 - 08:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You recognize these then??

"Once committed to an attack, fly in at full speed. After scoring crippling or disabling hits, I would clear myself and then repeat the process. I never pursued the enemy once they had eluded me. Better to break off and set up again for a new assault. I always began my attacks from full strength, if possible, my ideal flying height being 22,000 ft because at that altitude I could best utilize the performance of my aircraft. Combat flying is based on the slashing attack and rough maneuvering. In combat flying, fancy precision aerobatic work is really not of much use. Instead, it is the rough maneuver which succeeds"

"Of all my accomplishments I may have achieved during the war, I am proudest of the fact that I never lost a wingman."

"It was my view that no kill was worth the life of a wingman. . . . Pilots in my unit who lost wingmen on this basis were prohibited from leading a [section]. The were made to fly as wingman, instead."

"You can have computer sights of anything you like, but I think you have to go to the enemy on the shortest distance and knock him down from point-blank range. You'll get him from in close. At long distance, it's questionable."

"I opened fire when the whole windshield was black with the enemy . . . at minimum range . . . it doesn't matter what your angle is to him or whether you are in a turn or any other maneuver."

"See, decide, attack, reverse."

"Every day kill just one, rather than today five, tomorrow ten . . . that is enough for you. Then your nerves are calm and you can sleep good, you have your drink in the evening and the next morning you are fit again."

"If he is superior then I would go home, for another day that is better."

That would be Eric Hartmann. A very wise warrior.