_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Another re-caster??
AndyD
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 03:04 PM UTC
I've seen this fellow selling on Ebay a few times now. Seems to do "runs" where he posts alot then goes quiet for a spell.
All figures are bagged without orginal boxes.
What do you think:

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZstinkypete8400QQhtZ-1
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 06:41 PM UTC
Andy

I have seen his stuff on Aussie ebay at the moment and the only reason I wouldn't buy from him is that he requires Paypal (which I don't have) and is from overseas - I would rather buy "locally".

From my rudimentary understanding of European languages (Grade 8 French in 1973 and a smattering of German) the negative feedback only relates to the service not the quality of the items.

I know that he says "bagged" as photographed but the photos seem to be of the Verlinden boxes - maybe it is just a mix up in the translation.

Brian
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 08:35 PM UTC
Not being a figure modeller, I have no experience with this sellers kits nor the Verlinden 'originals' but I'm very suspicious based on the pricing of these so called 'hard to find' items. I'd like to hear from someone who has bought some of these figures from these seller to see if they are indeed the Verlinden items or are recasts. I suspect they are recasts but we can't be sure at this point.

If they are recasts - DO NOT BUY THEM!!!!!! If ther are the originals being resold, then they seem to be at a fairly decent price.

Anyone bought any of these.....???

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 08:54 PM UTC
His opening bid is about half retail. If he's reccasting. he's pretty greedy, since most of those guys offer really cheap prices.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 09:12 PM UTC
•Comes bagged as pictured

??? last time I checked... MOST (not all) of Verlinden's stuff is BOXED
not bagged........

I'd be willing to say It's a recast.........
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:50 PM UTC
Some older Verlinden stuff came bagged. I know I had some ammo sets, US troops crossing a Vietnam river, and assorted other resin kit bag and ruck sack sets that came bagged. Also some (all?) of the boxed resin sets have the items inside the box bagged in little ziplock baggies.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:51 PM UTC
Maybe this says it all...

Unrivaled Verlinden quality
“unrivaled”
adj.
unequaled: having no rival or equal

Mabye....
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:38 AM UTC
I'm not saying that the person is or is not a recaster (probably is). I was just trying to point out that Verlinden had issued resin figures and accessories in bags versus the standard green camouflaged box.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 01:34 AM UTC
I totally agree with you Rob, I too have some old Vrelinden products inside small zip baggies. I was pointing out that “Unrivaled Verlinden quality” was in his product selling point.

Joe
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,453 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 05:05 AM UTC
I recently (November-ish '06 I think it was) bought a couple of 1/35 scale "Verlinden" figure sets off this guy - German Generals WWII and German Infantry Ardennes 1944.

I haven't done anything with them yet and they're still in their little zip-loc baggies (complete with Verlinden card), but I have to say that if the indeed ARE recasts, they're bloody good ones. Nice and crisp, fine details and in "Verlinden light green" resin.

I honestly can't see anything wrong with them at all. I suspect that they are recasts though (weren't the early Verlindens cast in a yellowish colour resin?).
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 05:57 AM UTC
I've got Current Run Verlinden in the Yellow resin... I Admit taht alot of the Smaller single figure and Accy sets come in Baggies. But some of the Sets He's offering I've got Boxed... so It does make you wonder........
blackbug67
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 80 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 06:20 AM UTC
I don't want to take sides and I'm not saying the seller has re-cast a brand name product but.....

I just read that a certain product's (non-modelling) manufacturer requires retail stores to not sell below a certain price unless the item has been removed from the original packaging. For a retail store to sell below the agreed minimum price cuts the throats of other retailers who can't match the low-ball pricing.

Just a thought.

L Witter.
 _GOTOTOP