_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Hobby shops in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 06:24 PM UTC
I'm in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area for a couple of trips and looking for some hobby shops to peruse.

Thanks,
Paul
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 627 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 07:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area for a couple of trips and looking for some hobby shops to persuse.

Check out Warrick's in Plantation Florida near Ft Lauderdale. It use to be one of my favorite stores to visit when I am in South Florida but it seems they are dedicating more and more space to RC and less to kit building. It's still worth a visit and is one of the country's largest hobby shops...

Gary
11bravospec
entire network: 35 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 05:02 AM UTC
Look for micro mundo near kendall, sorry i forgot the address but its just north of kendall. Also do a search on google. thats where i found it.
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,539 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 08:16 AM UTC
When I lived in South Miami, I used to go to Crown Hobbies. As far as I know, they're still there. The address is 7439 Coral Way, Miami, FL. Coral Way is SW 24th Street. They used to have a big plastic selection, but like most things, it's all going R/C or trains. Call them. Their phone number is (305) 264-3964 .

Good luck!

Jim
bounce19712
entire network: 80 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:43 AM UTC
well...if it's still around....Orange Blossom Hobbies is the mecca for Miami.

1975 North West 36th Street Miami FL 33142 305.633.8114

I remember my dad taking me there once and I saw the biggest hughes 500 polystyrene I've ever seen .... it must have been 1/10 scale...I still have dreams about it.

don't not go there...or you will regret it for the rest of your life.

GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 3,736 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 12:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

well...if it's still around....Orange Blossom Hobbies is the mecca for Miami.

1975 North West 36th Street Miami FL 33142 305.633.8114

I remember my dad taking me there once and I saw the biggest hughes 500 polystyrene I've ever seen .... it must have been 1/10 scale...I still have dreams about it.

don't not go there...or you will regret it for the rest of your life.

Alas, Orange Blossom Hobbies is long gone, now, over five years--their wholesale division became overextended and dragged down the whole company. The retail operation was profitable, but a buyer could not be found.
As of now, RC Hobbies, at 6800 University Drive (west of Fort Lauderdale) is the best stocked plastics shop in the region. For directions, see their webpage at http://www.rchobbies.net/index.php?main_page=page_2
RC carries a little (okay a lot) of everything, and their plastic kit prices are comparable to most online retailers. If you go past the first aisle of armor toward the back of the store, you will find a second aisle of "orphaned," out of production armor and figure kits. They don't carry specialty aftermarket resin and photoetch (except for some 1/24th scale PE car items), but they have a lot of current and recent plastic kits.
Warrick Hobbies in Plantation used to be great for plastics, but in the last six months, they have essentially dropped plastic armor (they only keep about a dozen Dragon kits on the shelf, now), in favor of diecast toy cars, RC aircraft and vehicles, and a still-enormous model train department.
Crown Hobbies in Coral Gables is still there, but I haven't been there since I picked up some Bellona prints and AFV-G2 issues back in 1979 when I was taking some classes at the University of Miami. The selection wasn't huge, and it's a little out of the way for me.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 04:55 PM UTC
Thanks for all the replies.

After stopping by Warricks I have to agree with Gerald's assessment. The plastic armor shelf has a rather sad assortment but I was surprised to see the Trumpeter LAV sitting there.

Paul
SK2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 07:54 AM UTC
Paul I just saw your post . If you are still around check out Felix hobbie shop its in North Miami. I don't know the complete address. But its on 134 st and west dixie highway. I shop their for most of my supplies . His selection isn't great but u might find somethings you may need @ a cheap price.(kits,paint,glue,stryene.)
Sk2
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 627 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 06:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for all the replies.

After stopping by Warricks I have to agree with Gerald's assessment. The plastic armor shelf has a rather sad assortment but I was surprised to see the Trumpeter LAV sitting there.

Paul

I don't get it either, a few years ago there were always guys looking at Warrick's extensive kit selection and they had large display cases filled with their customer's built kits. Oh well, my favorite hobby shop in Cincinnati Ohio, "Boardwalk Hobbies" is exactly as it has been for the past 30 years or so and I appreciate it even more now...

Gary
 _GOTOTOP