Shows and events in North America.
Want to score better at AMPS this year?
cliftonra
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 04:42 AM UTC
The purpose of this post is to provide information that might help you improve your score when you attend a show using the AMPS rules and system. Having been involved in the modifications of the rules over the past 6 years, we are probably best capable of giving insight into what the judges are looking for and what you can do to improve your score. While we can’t guarantee a gold medal, we can guarantee that you will get whatever points are available!

You want good vibes-Your model will be one of 25 or so models that the judging team will look at during their two hour tour. There is no guarantee when your model will be judged so you must do whatever you can to impress the judges as soon as they see your model. It may not get you points, but it will improve your chances later on! Here are a few tips to start off on the right foot:
a. Having the correct form
When you fill out your registration forms, be sure to check off the correct boxes. Your skill level is the same for ALL models you bring to the show and is based on your final scores the last time you attended. A gold medal in the past automatically moves you up into the next skill level (except when moving up from the advanced level). Is your model eligible for the Theme Award? Unless you check the correct box, we have no way of knowing that!
b. Dust can kill you!
When a model is placed on the table and the first comment is “Is that weathering or dust?” I know the modeler is in trouble. Consider this- when you visit your friend and look at his work and see dust on his model, don’t you wonder if he cares at all about it? Well, so do the judges. When I see a dusty model submitted for review and evaluation that is dusty, I feel as if the modeler just didn’t care, so why should I?
b. Damage Control
If damage occurred during your trip to the show, be sure to note it on your registration form or inform the Pass Through Judge and he will note it. Damage caused during transport is not held against a modeler.
c. What do we base this on?
There is no rule that requires a base for your model and the base can’t be judged, but remember, when the piece is brought to the table, the judges want to see the model. A model not on a base has to be moved with even more care than normal. That time taken to be extra careful is time that can’t be spent enjoying your model. I’ve seen models that had a few simple strips of double sided tape holding them to the base; that is fine and greatly appreciated by the judges. As an aside, this also helps prevent damage during transport to and from the judges table.
d. Ahhhh…..organization
A well assembled presentation is really appreciated by the judges and keeps those good vibes flowing! A simple typed explanation of the modifications that you made to correct or improve a model is a treasure trove of information for the judges. If you have construction photos, bring them along and be sure to hand them in with your model. They provide the Judges with additional information to reward your model.
e. History
The latest version of the rules permits the team to grant a .5 point bonus if the model is accompanied by information that helps the Judges understand the vehicle being modeled. This is not a brag book. It does not mean photos of the model being built (see above). It is a description (as simple or complex as you wish) that describes the vehicle in question with photos, written information and whatever else you used to help you create your work, in other words, your reference material. Simply put, the judges will award the .5 bonus by answering this simple question “Did we learn anything about this vehicle from what was submitted?” A simple list of references does not count and will not garner the votes required for the .5 bonus point.

I hope this helps. Look over you model carefully before you bring it to the Pass Through Table and be sure that you are satisfied. There is a repair kit at the Pass Through table if you need to do repairs, just ask for it!

Be sure to take advantage of the Pre-registration being offered this year. just pay via Paypal and your forms will be mailed to you directly; no filling out forms on boxes of models and best of all, no long lines!

Good luck and I look forward to seeing everyone in April.
Bob Clifton
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 06:58 AM UTC
Good tips Bob.
Hopefully folks will use them, and all goes smoothly.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 09:43 AM UTC
BOB;
Great list of quick "DO's & DONT'S". Thank U for posting these quick referances to keep entrees focused on success. Looking fwd to the show again this year.
 _GOTOTOP