_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modelling direction
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 12:53 AM UTC
Just a quick question.. Anyone else find that your modeling interests change? From one genre to another perhaps. I know I have found myself buying more and more Russian AFV kits I seem to be slowly moving away from all the wonderful axis kits and the odd allied kit to mostly Russian stuff... Anyone else found their area of interest changing??

Dave
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 01:21 AM UTC
When I returned to modelling after a 15 year hiatus in 95 I went on a modelling spree building all sorts of stuff. Then I made a concious decision to build only allied vehicles and figures. I haven't kept strictly to that as I find German SPGs fascinating. But if I hadn't imposed that axis ban on myself I'd be the proud owner of a warehouse sized stash. I do find myself looking more and more at Sci Fi kits and wild west figures though.
drumthumper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 01:31 AM UTC
Dave,
I feel your pain, dude. But I'll take that one step further by saying I'm blessed/cursed with an interest in not only armor and figures, but aircraft, dioramas and wooden plank-on-frame ship models! When I change horses in midstream I mean I really change horses! Once I got on a Tiger kick and wound up purchasing about six - each with Friul track and all the Voyager and Aber p/e I could find. When I finally decided I had enough accessories to get started I found I didn't want to!!!! Suddenly, and for no apparent reason, I devoted the following two months to my Artesania Latina kit of the HMS Endeavor. But that being said isn't it a great hobby that allows us to call our own shots! I truly enjoy the freedom of venting my creativity in whatever direction I choose - with absolutely no guilt involved!

Okay, I'm done
Mike Kirchoff
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 01:37 AM UTC
My modeling interests are just as scattered as my brain cells. :-)
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 03:17 AM UTC

Yeah. It runs between:

1/25 Cars.
1/35 Armor
1/144 Planes
1/160 Trains
1/64 Trains

I'm lucky to get halfway through a build when something will distract me to another build. It's usually the magazine articles I read. I'll get Model Railroader, FSM and Scale Auto (Kalmbach loves me!) and every month, something will grab me. Sometimes it's maddeding, but, I think it keeps me well rounded.

I also jump out into woodworking, leatherworking, I'll take a day or two to clean all the swords in the house (19 carbon-steel blades...they rust) at least once a month. Throw in that I'm a "stay-at-home Dad and that includes housework, home repair/maintenence and meals. And then this summer, I think I'm going back to the Renaissance Faire for the season (8 weekends, Sunday only for me) and, I'll tell ya, sometimes it just stretches me to the thin.

So, does that qualify?

:-)

Cuhail
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 03:55 AM UTC
After doing a lot of traveling, I decided to switch to 1/72 scale armor, mainly modern armor. Then Dragon came out with their new series of armor so I delved into WW2 German armor just to build the new kits.

Lately I've actually been looking at 1/35 scale German armor, mainly the new light armor kits.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 04:26 AM UTC
When I first got back into the hobby, it was WWII German armor with a few Allied vehicles thrown in. Then I got interested in modern armor when DML and Tamiya came out with their latest Abrams. Then back to WWII when DML came out with the M2's and the 234's. Now modern aircraft has caught my eye and I have two A-10's and an F-16 in the stash. And then there's the NX-01 Enterprise and Academy Bismarck that I bought when they caught my eye. I enjoy jumping around though as each genre has it's own painting, weathering and build techniques so I get to learn a little with all of them. The downside is the stash continues to grow and there's always a half dozen models I want to start on next.
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 05:24 AM UTC
My interests change as well, but I think that's a good thing. I think it's a good way to avoid burning out on the hobby and it challenges your skills.

My stash has a bit of everything - Star Wars kits, cars, tractor trailers, a couple of ships, and of course lots of armor and aircraft. When I first got back into the hobby, I was "US" specific, but eventually, all those cool looking German vehicles caught my eye and I expanded my horizons. I'm glad I did, but my wallet isn't!

- Frank
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 07:24 AM UTC
Dave - your responses are legend.

Yes - take a look at mine. My first feature was a C119 airplane, then I went through a bunch of allied armor, then german armor, then ModelGeek came and now its AALL over the place.
My workbench right now at this very moment has
M20 Armored Car
Big Boy locomotive
SF3D armored suit
Top Fuel dragster.

The secondary bench has an F2a2, and a fuel truck and a bmp also a figure. All over - whatever strikes my the need/moment.
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 11,669 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 08:24 AM UTC
Oh sure! I have a wide variety of subjects I'm interested in especially in modelling.

Albatros C.I - XII
Albatros D.I -Va & IX
Fokker D.I - VIII
Fokker F.I - Dr.I
Sopwith Schneider - Snipe
Royal Aircraft Factory Productions 1914 -1918
Bristol Scouts - F2b.
Nieuport XI -XXVII
Zeppelin Staaken R types all
Morane Saulnier H - J
DFW all
Avaiatik all
De Havilland DH 1a - DH 9a
LFG Roland C & D tpes
Handley Page 0/100 - 0/1400
Siemens Schuckert D.I - IV
Halberstadt C & D types
Fokker E. Types
Pfalz E & D types
Hans Brandenburg C & D types
Lohner All
and any other aircraft manufactured between 1914 - 1918.

Then there are the accessories...
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 06:05 PM UTC
I find my interests constantly changing. I build in 1/35, but will go through a period when I am building german armour, then switch to an allied subject, and lately I have been looking at the Bandai 1/35 Sci Fi kits, they look so cool!!! The ability to change from one subject to another is my justification of my stash

Darryl
james_mcdougall_85
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 72 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 06:43 PM UTC
My interests was in axis armour but after playing call of duty, brother in arms and watching the amazing Band of Brothers on DVD I changed direction. NOw I am mostly into allied armor .

Jamie
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I plead the FIFTH!!! I'm like dave too many interests in too many topics to only build one type of model.
zeus60
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 06:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ditto. My interests don't so much shift as expand.
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 06:52 AM UTC
actually I have varied very little over the years. guess I am stuck in a rut.
drumthumper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 07:10 AM UTC
That's a helluva rut, John!

Mike
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,425 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:56 PM UTC
As a kid I modelled aircraft due to the expedient of storing them from the cieling more than anything else. :-) Since my return to the hobby it's been armor all the way, 1/35 and WW2. I bounce around a bit in subject matter as the mood suits me within that space from time to time though.
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
entire network: 3,040 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 12:02 AM UTC
I'm really into the Modern Russian Missile vehicles. Build the SAM-6 from Trumpeter, now busy with the Scud from Dragon. When that's done starting with the Skif Strela...

:-? :-)
 _GOTOTOP