_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
SB Cadillac-Gage ASV-150 Turret
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 08:04 AM UTC

Well, after not finding one in anyone's spare parts, I gave this turret one more shot with scratchbuilding. I found a bunch of pictures online and a few members here passed on some images, including this one:

And I think it's coming together. I didn't measure for exact length or width or follow angles to the right degree, I just looked at pictures and tried my best. I snapped a quick pic with my phone and cleaned it up as much as possible and here it is.

In this picture, the MK 19 box and the M2 .50 cal. are just set in place, not glued. I have to make the conveyor for the .40mm grenade belt and I still haven't decided whether or not to detail the inside the turret yet.

I just wanted some imput as I went.

Chime in!

Cuhail
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 08:24 AM UTC
Looks good so far Murph, but the proof will be in the putting- pun intended- when it meets it's hull.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:08 AM UTC
It appears that your turret is 6 sided where as the UGWS turret is 8 sided, Whats up???
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:26 AM UTC

Hi guys,
Yeah, 6 sides, 7 sides, 8 sides, blah blah blah.
I should totally point out I'm a true believer in "artistic licence". :-) I was lucky to get 6 straight sides at all (actually, there's 7 sides, but, white washes out with my STUPID CAMERA PHONE!!! ). I'll tell ya though, after the first two failed attempts, this ones a beaut. I'm not any sort of rivet counter myself, so, since most of my stuff gets labeled sci-fi anyway (being all post-apocolyptic) I forgive myself.

m:-)

Grumpy,

The only thing better that dry witties is wet ti.....

I'll have the good cam and some progress tomorrow.

Peace!

Cuhail
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 12:40 AM UTC

Heh, I keep looking at all of the pictures I have of this turret and I can't figure out what the material around the shell conveyor between the side of the turret and the 40. mm housing is. Does anyone know?

It looks like canvas or...something. Help?

Cuhail
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 12:49 AM UTC
There is a rubberized canvas cover that can be placed over the ammo feed chute to keep the weather off it. I have seen them with it installed and without.

The only thing I see wrong with it is the length. It is way too long, especially behind the hatch. The actual turret only has a small space behind the hatch. The front, sloped armor looks too long as well, but not by much. Still a good effort at scratching it from only photos and a drawing.

By the way, I still have the original .50 cal turret if you want to trade for it.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 01:04 AM UTC

Thanks Gino, for the offer and the descriptions. I'm actually pretty happy with this turret. I don't care that it's not to exact specs. Let's just say it's BASED ON the AAVP7A1 ASV-150 turret. :-)
The hatch ring with the viewing ports is bigger than the hole I drilled and should look better once I have it on there, I'm working on that now. I wrapped some candy foil around the shell feed and once painted, should look pretty good.

We're getting there,
Cuhail
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 07:37 AM UTC
Well, along we go.

Roughed out the turret-hatch and gunner's periscope and added the shell chute cover. I'm in the process of scratching out the light mounted on the .50 cal.

Voila!

crappy pix as per the norm lately, but, it carries the gist.

Comments welcome, but, please remember this turret is patterned after the ASV-150 and isn't meant to be an actual Cadillac Gage. I'm just too "garage" to try to keep it to the rivet.

Cuhail
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 09:26 AM UTC
Hey Murph,
Great job on scratching your ASV-150 turret, she look cool, mean and I’d hate to be on the wrong end. What did you use for the periscope turret, and does the hatch open. Waiting for more

Joe
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 08:23 PM UTC

Thanks Joe,
Sheet and strip stock. That's it. The hatch does NOT open and that kinda sucks, but, it eliminated a lot of problems and issues, like, if I don't detail the inside of the turret.
I'm gonna start the armored box that the turret sits on soon., yes, with a detailed interior. Since the turret will be remote-controlled from the passenger/navigator/gunner's seat, there won't be a gunner's platform, but, 40 mm and .50 cal ammo boxes and spent shell collector boxes along with the usual recon camp gear. I'll add some cabinets and small arms. I'll add that back on the SB Guntruck thread.

Back to work!
Cuhail
 _GOTOTOP