_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Modelling room layout
Hightower
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 66 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 09:43 AM UTC
Hi all, I am in the midst of a home renovation. I have assigned an area where my modeling room is to be. Would like some info on layout, desk config. cabinets, storage, painting area, etc. If people have pics of theres, cool.
Cheers eh ?
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,437 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 11:07 AM UTC
Well, I like the L shaped desk. You can have multiple things going on, like photography or sub parts on the side and not be overcrowded on you work space. Drawer space nearby too.

Bob
RichardM
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 383 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 02:39 PM UTC
Have a look HERE Plenty of pics and ideas
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 07:28 PM UTC
Robert,
Steeler banner...Iron City can...you must be a transplant from "the burgh"!
Craig
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 06:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Robert,
Steeler banner...Iron City can...you must be a transplant from "the burgh"!
Craig

Oh yeah! I grew up in "The Rocks" and out of college (Penn State) lived out in Imperial. We have met, but only briefly. You and Jim Johnston worked with a German exchange student of mine back in 2000 or so. Florian was his name - about 18 years old at the time. Really nice figure painter.

I used to go to the Three Rivers IPMS show all of the time. I am looking at some of those plaques right now as I write this.

Pitt looks good this year for March Madness, but I find it hard to root for them sometimes since I am a Penn Stater.

Bob
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 08:03 AM UTC
Small world, Robert. Whereabouts did you live in Imperial? I grew up there and now I live up Rt. 30 in Clinton.

Back on topic. I agree that an L-shaped layout works well. I'm currently set up in the basement. I prefer a work table that's not too deep, much like the one in the photo above. I use those organizers for small parts for both my spares and my paints/pigments/small tools/etc. I also bought some file cabinets that fit perfectly under my workbench for storing glues, bigger tools, and all kinds of essential (of course it's essential!) stuff.

- Frank
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 08:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Small world, Robert. Whereabouts did you live in Imperial? I grew up there and now I live up Rt. 30 in Clinton.

- Frank

Waldenwoods. My first home - a townhouse. I went to Canevin. Besides my regular job I also coached HS basketball at Fort Cherry for a number of years until the job took up more time.

Back on topic: I thought about doing one of those magnetic strips for my tools, but I am fine with using cups and such. My paint bottles are on threee tiered racks I bought at Target really cheap. I think they are meant for spices and stuff.

Bob
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 05:21 PM UTC

Hi Robert...I apologize for not remembering you. You've told me of this connection before and I completely forgot about it. How embarassing!

Back on topic now...
Sterling, The L shape ilayout works great if you have the space. I got me hands on an old drafting table that I use for me work area. I just replaced the top with some heavy plywood that was a better size for my needs. I also bought 2 of those rolling tool carts on sale at Sears. They make for
great storage.
The best thing about the drafting table for me is that I sit up higher than at a regular desk. You just need to get your hands on a stool.
Craig
PS: Hi Frank. Any chance you're going to make it to our Region IV show at the end of the month? If you do, please be sure to look me up
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 374 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:16 PM UTC
Craig - The show is on my calendar. I'll be on the lookout for you. For the record, Dennis at Hobbytown also makes sure to remind me of the show each time I'm there!

- Frank
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:12 AM UTC
Great, Frank.
Looking forward to it.
Now I just need to get you to come to the club meeting sometime :-)
Craig
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 06:29 AM UTC
My advice is to make sure you have ample room to spread things out. I'm not one of those guys who can sit in a chair in the corner of a room and build on my lap. If you look at my photos, you can see my current bench which is still a work in progress.
 _GOTOTOP