_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Supplies picked up at Wal-mart
dannyarizona
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 52 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 01:02 AM UTC
Living in a town where there is a mediocre hobby shop. I have been forced to look anywhere I go for supplies. Even though I am always on the look out for anything of use to help the sickness...... Err I mean hobby. :-)

The broom grass was only 2 bucks. There is enough there to last a lifetime. I found the lightest shade of green they had. There was other colors ranging from the greens to dark reds. I haven't tried to wash/stain it yet. But I am sure it would take colors very easily. The claer gloss acrylic spray caught my eye also. I am going to try this as a base for the washes. And the tacky glue works great. It dried very quickly and clear also. I have used it to attach the rock I cast from the Hydrocal and the vegetation on the current project.

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 01:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Living in a town where there is a mediocre hobby shop. I have been forced to look anywhere I go for supplies

Hey! Tell me about it :-) We don't have Wally-Mart here (sadly ) but what we do have (Hipermarkets) are frequently a good source of supplies. Best purchase recently, a pair of Nail-clippers (for removing parts from the sprue) they're really sharp, very controllable and cost around five bucks.

Yes, there are quite a number of us do the same - your broom grass was damned expensive though - mine cost around half that - from the Chinese equivalent of a 99 cent store...
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 01:17 AM UTC
Got to love Tacky Glue. :-)
dannyarizona
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 01:27 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Yes, there are quite a number of us do the same - your broom grass was damned expensive though - mine cost around half that - from the Chinese equivalent of a 99 cent store...

DOH!

I'm always on the hunt. So I'll keep looking for the cheaper alternative.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 01:35 AM UTC
I have that same spray sealer. (Well mines not gloss but anyway.)
I’ve used it to seal models (Usually between steps) and find that it works best by doing 3 or 4 very light coats waiting 10 to 20 min between each coat. It should make a great base coat as long as it sticks to the grass.
Its also great for sealing oil paints.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 08:53 AM UTC
I hope this isn't true but my wife was at Wal-Mart the other day in the craft section and over heard a sales clerk tell another customer that Wal-Mart was going to be doing away with the crafts sections in their stores. Something about the bottom line not being profitable enough! I hope she was miss informed.

As an aside besides the crafts section, that also has good cheap acrylics paints, check out the "beauty" section. Clippers, tweezers, emery boards for sanding, etc.

Austin0311
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 03:30 AM UTC
Around Christmas time a couple of years ago I bought some "snow" that people use on their Christmas dioramas. It's alittle lumpy but could be used for a diorama base or so. I got it at Wal Mart. I have been looking for a small shelve or something to hold my paint in though. Any suggestions?
dannyarizona
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 06:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope this isn't true but my wife was at Wal-Mart the other day in the craft section and over heard a sales clerk tell another customer that Wal-Mart was going to be doing away with the crafts sections in their stores. Something about the bottom line not being profitable enough! I hope she was miss informed.

Say it isn't so!

Wal-mart, even though they have a virtual cornucopia of inexpensive supplies. Since this place doesn't really have to much to offer in the hooby sense. I would have to commute to Vegas to get the stuff.

I'll check out the beauty aisle next time around.
Cyberwombat
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 262 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 09:31 AM UTC
Not entirely true: Wal-Mart to Close Fabric Departments

GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 3,736 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 06:27 AM UTC
Walmart also stocks several guages of florists' wire, which is extremely useful in model building for grab handles, conduits and such. They also have blocks of styrofoam useful for building up terrain in dioramas, and unfinished wooden plaques (for wood burning and decoupage), which make dandy diorama bases with some gentle sanding and polyurethane wood stain(also from Walmart), not to mention the self-adhesive felt disks for the bottom of the plaque. The toy department has the little Testors modelling knives, but the craft departmnent carries X-Acto knives and blades, as well as "self-healing" cutting mats. And several of the Testors/Aztek airbrushes can also be had in the toy departent, as well as the Testors compressor.
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 783 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 08:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Walmart also stocks several guages of florists' wire, which is extremely useful in model building for grab handles, conduits and such.

Guys, if you need fine wire for grab handles and such, DONT BUY IT! I own a transmission shop, and we throw away about a dozen defective or damaged transmission solenoids every week. these all have spools of fine copper wire for making grab handles, tow cables, winch cables, etc. If anyone needs some, PM me and send me a self addressed stamped envelope, and I will be glad to send you loads of differant guage wire. I have more then I will ever use at the moment, and most of the time, i wind up throwing the stuff away.

Gary
Lee-Enfield
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 272 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 09:35 AM UTC
I would never have thought to look in the toy department... I think I'd better start planning my next trip!

Here's another little gem on supplies from Wally-World, but in the tool dept: those cheap little bar clamps that really aren't much good for anything by way of wood-working and the like make a really good pair of "extra hands" for working on vehicle models. And there's a really nice little utility knife by Stanley that retails for about $4.00 CDN. It's got a nice narrow tip that's metal so it's strong, and it holds a spare blade or two in the handle.

Cheers, lads!!
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 06:33 PM UTC
Wow, I feel for you, Im just the opposite. In my town, I have 2 locally owned hobby shops, a hobby lobby, Pat Catans (craft store), and a wal-mart.....
Austin0311
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 09:07 PM UTC
Your lucky Johnny. I have a Walmart, LHS, and a Hobby Lobby. Hobby Lobby usually never updates its military models and the selection seems to be getting smaller every time I go in there.
dannyarizona
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, I feel for you, Im just the opposite. In my town, I have 2 locally owned hobby shops, a hobby lobby, Pat Catans (craft store), and a wal-mart.....

Yeah, coming from the Mecca of hobby shops. I am still in culture shock here. In more ways than one.
 _GOTOTOP