_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Anyone spray primer with an airbrush?
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 258 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:07 PM UTC
I have a Tamiya HG Superfine airbrush and I've tried to spray primer (Alclad fine) with it before and the results were pretty bad. It was not laying flat (grainy surface) and the airbrush was getting plugged quick. I now bought an Aztek 4709 airbrush since it has different size nozzles in hopes that I will be able to do a better job with it. Any tips on spraying primer and which nozzle to use? I also have various grade Gunze primers.
Thanks.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:20 PM UTC
I spray primers with my Badger 150 and Badger 100 all the time with a medium tip, and about 12 PSI.

I have used the Alclad black primer with no problems or clogging, and it didn't need any thinner either.

Since I don't use an Azteck can't help with that one, but it's possible the tip on the Tamyia brush is too fine a tip for priming. Don't have that airbrush either, but I don't use my Iwatas for priming.
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:28 PM UTC
Dave,
just how many airbrushes do you have?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:29 PM UTC
Five
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 04:05 AM UTC

........I used to have five. Actually six, if I count my old, Buick-sized, red Paasche.... Alas, I have none at the moment.
But to answer {kinda} your query madwolf, I don't generally spray primer thru my AB only because of the 'convenience' factor. Meaning, it's just easier to quickly shoot primer out of a rattle can and not bother with the AB.....add to that my increasing personal enthusiasm with the "Mister" line of products, and shooting primer thru my AB is just something I avoid.
Wish I could have been of more help.

Tread.

BTW, the only reason Grumpy's got five airbrushes is because he's been collecting them since the early Jurrasic Period...... Apologies Dave.

Tread.
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 07:30 AM UTC

Yes, I was also wondering why would someone need more than two, or one for that matter, but since I have two now.....

Gordon, I'm not sure I understand, you like or don't like the Mister line?

It seems to work better than other products for me, but I am a rookie, so what do I know?....
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 07:48 AM UTC
i have tamiya SF and Aztek...
although i never used Alcad stuff but i been spraying with Mr Surfacer 1000 primer . I think the problem lies on the thinning ratio of the primer. I thinned Mr Surfacer with 1:9 primer to thinner ratio. U can use the fine tip (cream color) or the multipurpose nozzle (grey color) of your Aztek. Since primer i used is lacquered based, they will dry fast so that's why i used very thinned primer and shoot it about 8-10 inches from the surface.
Hope this help. and btw you dont have to buy another airbrush just to get it done. Like grumpy who proudly own 5 ab...i wish i can bet him...hehe

cheers,

Zaidi
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 08:25 AM UTC
Believe me, all my airbrushes I picked up at excellent prices when either a hobby shop or art store was closing, or ending carrying a product line. (much easier to barter in person) :-)
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 09:11 AM UTC
In my own defense, I can actually use this second airbrush. The Tamiya one is made of metal (as opposed to the cheaper looking aztek) and I like it a lot, but it has a pretty small reservoir for paint. Also, the aztek will come in handy for laeger projects when I can use one of those huge nozzles.
 _GOTOTOP