_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
About to try casting resin for first time
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 03:30 PM UTC
I am about to make my first molds for casting my own resin parts. I have one question first. If you have an object that has a handle or something that will cause part of the object to become trapped in the resin, how should you handle that. I am making som copies of 5 gallon water jugs and they were originaly cast with the handles on, but doing this will cause it to be trapped in the mold by the hadle. what should I do before or after I make the mold to that will allow me to get the part out of the mold?
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 03:29 AM UTC
Youve got a few options in making you own moulds:
a) break the subject to be reproduced in sub-assemblies so that they will not get trapped
b) if the above is not suitable for yoyu try to put the part i a way that with a sharp knife you can free the trappable part. This is not always applicable, specially when you have to dela with jerry cans
c) do a two shells mould (but also this is not universally applicable to jerry cans)
Personally I prefer the s) solution because it's easier and usually gives the best results.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 01:24 PM UTC
I found that when making molds of fuel cans or water cans make sure that the are molded upright. Don't lay them on there sides. After the mold has cured remove the mold material from the box or form you made to make the mold. if you flex the mold by placing your thumb on the bottom center of the part onthe out side of the mold and push lightly while pulling the sides the part will release its self enough to use a small hobby blade to slit the rubber enough to remove the part without hurting the mold. I make almost all my own accessaries this way.
Howitzer
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 232 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 10:57 AM UTC
I dont know. SORRY.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 01:19 PM UTC
WIth a jerry can - water or fuel - I would recommend two part molds or one part mold and scratch built handles. With the three rung handles I don't envision a way to mold a left and right half, top and bottom are out too.
I would cut the handle off a can, mold that and then use either wire or styrene (or a combo) to get the end result.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 - 04:49 PM UTC
I go with slodder. To make the handles, just use wire and drill the appropriate holes in the can. BTW, don't forget to brush on some resin on the molds before pouring resin in it. I have made my own first castings and found that if I don't brush resin on the mold before I pour, the result is a cast that is rough and not good detail.
 _GOTOTOP