_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
A hit for the team (Or Barv if you like...)
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 01:55 AM UTC
Well, I guess most of you know Barv and his scratchbuilt Diggie/Reccy thingies from this site. What you don't know is the pain and injuries Barvs friends must go through to get him the information and pics he needs for his beasties. This story is about such an injury...

I have known Barv for about two years now, after accidentially posting a pic of a Dachs II on this site. We became "online mates" rather quick and together with a couple of other modellers (which will not be named due to their good name and reputation) we still have our daily MSN chats about armour modelling and life in general. During one of this chats I sent Barv a picture of (for him) a unknown reccy vehicle, a
NM 130. After being brought back to life by Dundee Paramedics and a generous amount of electricity, Barv asked me if I could get pics of other ARVs, and I mentioned a Swedish company coming over to train with us. They were bringing along a CV 90 ARV , and this was something Barv had looked for for a long time. I promised to take some pictures and this was where the pain started....
When the FTX ended I hurried up to the assembly area to get Barvs pictures and I was not disappointed. The Swedish TC was very helpful and I got all accsess to his vehicle. I flled up the memory card and prepared to dismount the ARV. And just because this was an ARV it was filled up with spare oils and fluids for the rest of the company. To make a long story short: I slipped in some oil spill on the front armour and banged my leg against the vehicles plow. No biggie, about the same as when you accidentially bang into the coffee table...
After this all but gracious dismount, I went over to my vehicle to stash away some of my kit. I noticed a little blood on my trousers and thought "Damn, I need a band aid"... Since we had an Aid Station about 50 meters away, I went over and told one of the medics what I neede. At first he did not belive me, thinking I had an injury which was part of the exercise. Then he finally told me to drop my pants to have a look at the wound. So I did, and we both started to laugh when my leg was revealed, calling out for a camera in between the laughs. So what was supposed to be some quick pictures for Barv ended up being a week on the couch with my leg high, and another two weeks with silly walk...
This happened about six months ago and I still got two terrific scars which remindes me of Barv every morning and every night...

The morale of this story? I guess it must be that friends you make on Armorama leaves a mark for life... And I even don't like ARVs that much...

For those with a strong stomach here is the picture the medic took.
WARNING: If you have a problem seeing blood you should NOT open the link. You are hereby properly warned!

My injured leg

Erik

And Steve, I will do it again in a second if you ask mate.
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 02:41 AM UTC
The only thing to say is Ouch.

I expect slightly stronger words were said.

MeCOwhy
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 60 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 03:02 AM UTC
WOW! Gore! :-)

So now you not only can show off with your hardcore mates from Armorama in a pub but you can also drink an extra beer over your battlefield scars

I really hope that these won't last to long
I think your help will be even more appretiated now.

Cheers Erik!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 03:14 AM UTC
One hell of a wound.
Hope it heal up OK.
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 03:21 AM UTC
My leg is just fine guys (except for some scars). It happend last September, so it is completely healed. Who says modelling is not an extreme sport from time to time? :-) :-) :-)

Erik
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When you told it to me you were talking about emergency evacuations by armored ambulance but after seeing only this little drop of blood it must have been the morfine running your brains

Damn Marcel!!! That was the part I wanted to keep as a secret! :-) . But yes it is true... I also told you that we did that for training purposes, not because anyone thought I was going to die or something... However, I still get a lot of flak for this incident at work.

Erik
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 04:35 AM UTC

Oh!!!----dearie me !!---Hang about !!.....I was miles away in Scotland
I'm getting victimised here ...all I did was ask for a pic or 2 or 50 ..
AllI can say is ...If a dog knows you don't like him ...He BITES ....so it follows --If an ARV knows you hate it ..It will BITE you too.... :-) :-) :-)
Thanks for the sacrifice my GOOD friend --can't send a CDM (Cadburys Dairy Milk) as it will go off in the post
Where the other pics you were to get me ...mmm!!!
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Above and Beyond
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 05:57 AM UTC
Erik, you Wuss!

Scratched yerself on yer tankie thingie did you?

:-) :-) :-)

Learn to work with a tankie thingie mate!

Nice cut btw! Elastoplast is a good cure.
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 09:20 AM UTC
Yet another, Ouch!
It does look like it was recieved in a good cause and provided some unschedualed training for the bedpan brigade, makes me want to make a mud machine though. So many things to model, so little time. Was it oil (?) housekeeping is a pain but can save some too!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:07 PM UTC
Just goes to show that no good deed ever goes unpunished.

My dad used to say that everybody who ever road a motorcycle for any length of time they would eventually role up their sleeve, or pants leg, and show their scars. If you're with your modeling mates and they show you their little exacto knife scars you can roll up your pants leg and top em all.

Cheers.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 04:30 PM UTC
Yikers - that did leave a mark.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 07:41 PM UTC
Remember Eric, when the "annual tell us your modeling injuries" thread comes up again, you'll have a new one. :-)
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,425 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 01:09 AM UTC
That just proves how well maintained the dozer blade is if it can produce that kind of a gash! I agree with Dave, you've got the crowning "modelling injury scar" for all time award safely locked away with this one. :-)
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 02:22 PM UTC
Hey Erik:
I think you need Armoured Vehicle Dismount 101.
You can be glad your not as short as I, because the mount is usually harder than the dismount. LOL. OK here's a Bandaid :-)
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 03:45 AM UTC
Regarding Erik's Pic.

I've seen better legs on a table! :-)
mark197205
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,593 Posts