Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Time????
IndyCopper
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 153 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 06:15 PM UTC
Well I have been home with the new baby for one week now. Her big brother is only 22 months old. My questoin to all you dads is how in the world do you find the time to do any building? It sems like as soon as one gets taken care of the other starts up I would not trade them for the world, but I am not looking forward to an enforced modeling retirement.

Update on the my co-worker who was shot last week, after three surguries, he has been taken off the ventilator and his alert and talking.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 07:20 PM UTC
I've got six kids, five still left in the house with the youngest being 2½ years old. I've always had time for modeling. I first became a dad when I married my wife with her three kids aged 6, 3 and 2.

With the exception of the 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 school years, we have always had a baby or preschooler in the house for the last 15 years.

While uninterrupted modeling time is hard to find, it is not impossible. I have a desk set up in the living room with my laptop and a work space. I do a little building there so I can be around the kids.
BoogalooJ
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 230 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 07:41 PM UTC
I agree with Robin. I rarely get a chance to sit at my desk and do any dedicated work, but if I bring a kit to the living room, I get a chance to do some work whenever I can.
I have two kids, 26 months and 6 months. The oldest is now going through separation anxiety at bedtime (thought we had gotten over that 6 months ago), so my time is even more restricted than before.

I am hardly a regularly active builder, but I refuse to retire as I look forward to introducing this hobby to my daughters, once they see it as more than chew toys that is... :-)

That is good news about your co-worker. I hope he makes a full recovery!

Jamie
entire network: 4,303 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 09:03 PM UTC
Hi!

Well, as a father of 3 kids (3, 9 and 12) I know the problem also.
Fortunatly my wife understands the importance of the hobby for me and we agreed I had 1 scheduled evening each week to build and she has also 1 evening for her hobby.
At my evening, my wife take care of the kids, and I take care of the kids at her evening. This weekly "quality time for yourself" works just great for both of us.

To ensure the evening I also invited 2 modelbuilding friend to come over, so for a few years every monday night we build together at my kitchen table. Otherwise you plan other stuff that evening before you know it.

Hope it helps!

Paul

Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 09:25 PM UTC
I should also mention that time constraints increase as they get older. Taking kids to football games, cheerleading practice, orthodontist appointments, dates, sleep overs, driving lessons, school functions, etc. all cut into my modeling time.

And expenses increase as well. The stepdaughter who was 3 years old when I married her mom is now 18 and goes to college this fall. I purchased a new car for her in August and a new laptop for school this weekend and just finished paying for her braces this month. Add to that her cell phone bill and car insurance and this child costs me about $800 a month alone (excluding food, laptop cost and future college bills).
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 09:26 PM UTC
Just imagine what the poor Mrs will be going through alone when you return to work. Enjoy them when they are young, as they really do grow up fast.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 08:30 AM UTC
Indy, "when you can". As the lil one gets older and sleeps thru the night consistantly the you can work after they go to bed{like I am right now}. I've got a 22mo old boy and a 4.5yr old girl...after 7:30pm is my time...and during they're weekend naps.
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 05:52 PM UTC
Sunday mornings seem to be a quiet time to get some modeling in around my home. Also, if you get your kids involved that helps too
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 06:29 PM UTC
Whats the problem ? :-) - use the time when they sleep, and when they get older, use the time with them

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 07:04 PM UTC
Mox,
What a great picture!

I'll chime in and pretty much agree with what other folks have said.

TV tray and parts clean-up with the family while playing.

I built lots of subassemblies there for a while. Get 10 min, work on a cupoIa, get 5 min, fit the rear hull and putty.
Get 20 min, add 10 decals to a plane.

You do have to pick your projects carefully,.
Be sure to pick a kit that you can build in assemblies and not have to have a long uninterrupted run of time to get everything lined up right. I wrecked a MRC OH58 that way.
I glued in the instrument coaming and test fit the fuselage sides, but did not test fit the glass.
Let everything dry and when I got back to it, the coaming really messed up the fit of the glass. Project abandoned.

This is why I have not gotten back to the Academny Blackhawk and installed the seats and interior...

Now I have the luxury of a dedicated model room with a latch on the door (keeps cats out), but for a while I was only able to build up kits to the point at which adding the next part would mean it did not fit back into the box and then I had to stop.

For me, my best , most productive time is late at night, I'm quite a night owl, so wife is asleep before 10, kid (now 7!!) is too. I can get 30-45min in and not be too tired. I can find a little uninterrupted time late Sunday mornings as well..

My wife also does the scrapbooking and stamping/cardmaking thing too. Those folks do 6pm-12midnight Frida night 'ladies nights', where they get together and work on their projects.
So we stole a page from their book and the guys also do build days, afternoons really, with the guys in the local club. 4-5 of us, a rack of ribs, some beers and a model geek fest for the afternoon
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 12:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Whats the problem ? :-) - use the time when they sleep

They Sleep?

:-) :-) :-)

Jim
Sabot
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 04:10 AM UTC
Rookie parents.

They key to kiddie discipline is that you need to make not obeying you less desirable than obeying you.

My 2 year old doesn't want to take a nap? Oh well, into the corner for a minute or two, then down for a nap. Two minutes in time out is torture to a 2 year old.

My 17 year old doesn't want to get off the phone at 10:00? Oh well, I pick up an extension, inform the other person that Matt is getting off the phone and unplug the extension he is using. The next day, Matt's phone privileges end at 9:00. Won't get off at 9:00? Oh well, no phone tomorrow.

Then some genius asks how do you get your child to stay in the corner or bed? Um, read sentence #2. Make staying in the corner for two minutes more desirable than not staying in the corner. Two minutes is torture, four is a death sentence.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 04:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rookie parents.

They key to kiddie discipline is that you need to make not obeying you less desirable than obeying you.

My 2 year old doesn't want to take a nap? Oh well, into the corner for a minute or two, then down for a nap. Two minutes in time out is torture to a 2 year old.

My 17 year old doesn't want to get off the phone at 10:00? Oh well, I pick up an extension, inform the other person that Matt is getting off the phone and unplug the extension he is using. The next day, Matt's phone privileges end at 9:00. Won't get off at 9:00? Oh well, no phone tomorrow.

Then some genius asks how do you get your child to stay in the corner or bed? Um, read sentence #2. Make staying in the corner for two minutes more desirable than not staying in the corner. Two minutes is torture, four is a death sentence.

You must have known my parents Rob. :-) :-)