_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Ebay store idea? I want your honest opinion
modelmaker9
entire network: 125 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 07:01 AM UTC
Hello guys,
I was thinking about opening an Ebay store. I know it is a TON of work, but I am up for the challenge. My question is, "What should I sell?" Let me know, I was thinking about the following:
1. Display case/base
2. Molds for rubble
3. Molds for various building/maybe even figures?
4. Kits, Parts?

So let me know what you think, if it goes up I can assure you that you will find some great stuff for cheap!

Thanks so much for your help,
ModelMaker9
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:33 PM UTC
I would say all of the above with the possible exception of kits and parts. That would only be because there are so many out there. If you're up to making originals of the molds and such you're thinking of, and they're good quality/value, you should do well. Here is a tip my wife learned, thanks to me. Once you're set up you can also get a Froogle account set up. That's free and you can list everything you're selling on Froogle. The only "catch" is you have to update it once a month or they drop you.

Good luck.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 04:56 PM UTC
I agree with Roger - all of it. The more you have available the more you'll be able to sell. Its a true world wide market and even the number of items you have is narrow when you think about it.
modelmaker9
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 07:41 PM UTC
Interesting, thanks for the tips, I will post as soon as I make any progress. Thanks,
ModelMaker9
Austin0311
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 03:26 AM UTC
I would make sure that you don't have any hidden costs or charge a ton for shipping. Some people do that and it really hurts their business. I buy quite a few models off ebay but only from certain people because they dont charge extra buck here and there for everything. You may buy a 10 dollar tank but it will end up costing you 13 dollars after the shipping, "handling", and such. If your an honest ebayer you'll do fine. I'm sure you ebayed before so you should know what I'm talking about.
Catch-22
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 350 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 07:53 PM UTC
all of the above, plus,(and I'm assuming you are based in North America)

SELL TO EUROPE!

With the 'weakness' of the dollar right now, even including the cost of shipping over the pond, US/CAN-sourced models are significantly cheaper than the prices we have to pay in the UK.

old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 10:07 PM UTC
Modelmaker9, did you plan on running the business from your home? Check local ordinances and check your write offs as well...my friend runs his business out of his garage{model trains}, it's a store front, goes to the local fairgrounds for shows/meets and just started selling on the web..he gets an order and has it shipped direct from the source{warehouse/manufacturer} to the customer...low inventory/sitting cash that way.
modelmaker9
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 07:52 PM UTC
Thanks for all who replied.

Autin0311- I know exactly what you are talking about the shipping and some other charges can sometimes get out of hand. Luckily I have Ebayed before!

Catch22- Interesting about the whole "Sell to Europe" I will have to give that a try.

Old-dragon- Tell me more about the orders from the wharehouse. That sounds interesting, so there is no inventory?

Anyways, before I start anything I will have to first see if there is a market, then find a great product and do a test run. Then once I have established on Ebay then I will make an online store with a website (a little more advanced) Much like Kancali's website. Thanks for the tips and advice.
More is welcome!!!
-MM9
 _GOTOTOP