spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 06:35 AM UTC
I'd like to try it -people do amazing stuff with white styrene... And I have no idea how to build up elaborate parts and shapes from plastic.
A book, a scratchbuilding site or anything would be great.
Thank you..
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 06:51 AM UTC
Andras,

I think the best reference on how to get into Scratchbuilding, and developing your skills, will be found right here in ModelGeek's Scratchbuilding Forum. There are members of all skill levels and experience - just find a thread that interests you and jump in!

You'll quickly find out you already have a lot in common with your fellow scratchbuilders.

Gunnie
drumthumper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 04:00 PM UTC
Andras,
Welcome to the Scratchbuilders forum! I reiterate what Jim said regarding this group. The talent-level here is amazing - just check out a few galleries and you'll see what I mean! In general, scratchbuilding encompasses so many genre that any single book is hard-pressed to cover them all. Therefore, as Jim aptly stated, I suggest starting here.
My emphasis on this site is sharing the fundamental techniques used by scratchbuilders on a daily basis. So my advice is choose what subject you'd like to begin with (I'd probably shy away from full-blown s/b projects some of these guys are involved in for now!), and let us help you get started. Any question posted here will no doubt garner more than enough responses to get you headed in the right direction.
Again , welcome to the group!

Mike Kirchoff
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 11,669 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 04:26 PM UTC
While I would not dare to disagree with the previous posters here, (Because they are mostly right.) I would like to comment on the subject of how to get started. Start small, individual pieces, cockpit components then move on to major modifications. Stretch a fuselage, clip some wings. The take plastic card in hand and try a handbook by one of the finest scratchbuild artists I have known, Mr. Harry Woodman.

http://www.wwimodeler.com/harry/woodman.html

"Harry Woodman's "Scale Model Aircraft in Plastic Card" is still the definitive guide for scratchbuilders. Conceived over thirty years ago many new materials and techniques have since been developed; old established manufacturers have gone west and new ones emerged; kits long out of production are back on the shelves under different labels while new kits abound. Thanks in no small measure to the author's pioneering influence a whole raft of cottage industries now provide accessories and even complete kits in exotic materials. Nevertheless, in the absence of a longed for reprint I hope modellers will find something of interest in this online version...Peter Leonard"

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 05:21 PM UTC
I think alot of it is starting Simple...... then slowly moving on to more complex shapes. Sometimes you have to think about how stuff is built then try to reproduce it in scale... sometimes you just laminate layers and layers of sheet, Shaping it with files and Putty to get the finished shape you want.

Don;t be afraid to ask Questions!!! in the forums or by PM......Most people are happy to help or tell how they did something!
drumthumper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 06:46 PM UTC
A couple of books that really help define simple scratchbuilding methods and processes is Shep Paine's "Building Dioramas" and "Building Military Vehicles". Published by Kalmbach, I believe both are still available. Shep describes in several chapters various basic scratchbuilding projects, both aircraft and armor-related, with photos, drawings and text These books used to be viewed as veritable bibles of the scratchbuilding world!

Mike
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 09:50 AM UTC
Dear all,
Thank you very much for the kind answers. I really appreciate it. I read the Scratchbuilders forums, and ask when I have a question.
(My eyes are on an interior for a DML PnzIV... I know. It's not going to be the first project, but that's something I'd like to try. And one of those "dummy tanks" the Germans used before the war for training.)

What basic tools do you need for scratching? How do you start a project? (So far the biggest undertaking was adding the torsion bars and the suspension to a Sturmtiger.)
 _GOTOTOP