_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
P-51B Mustang.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 02:03 AM UTC
This is the project that I have been working on. I have actually been in the spray booth every evening this last week. I sprayed the ID elements today, sky fuselage band, white nose and spinner and yellow wing leading edges. These were sparayed after the camo coates, rather than the normal method, of painting lighter colours first. This worked great, and I was able to use the darker camo as pre-shading. (This doesn't show up to well in the pics but I will try to show it later). I hope to be painting the undercarriage tomorrow

Mal
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 02:18 AM UTC
What the?????!!!!!!
Mals on a building frenzy!!!
Looking good there Mal.
Its great to see you building.Im looking forward to seeing this finished.
Are you making space for the Eduard Spit?
Nige
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 02:32 AM UTC
So after all that discussion on what you should build, Whirlwind, Lancaster or the Anson?, you started the Mustang :-) .
Looking pretty nifty so far. I always sprayed the Yellow after the main camo too.
What kit is it ?
Andy
almonkey
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 12:57 AM UTC
thats shaping up nicely mal. how did you do the main camo scheme? freehand or with a little blu tac assistance
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 02:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What the?????!!!!!!
Mals on a building frenzy!!!
Looking good there Mal.
Its great to see you building.Im looking forward to seeing this finished.
Are you making space for the Eduard Spit?

Nige I'm afraid that I haven't made any progress on the Eduard Spit, I'm in the throws of getting my painting method sorted. Of course I don't want to finish the Spit then have a better way of finishing now do I

Quoted Text

So after all that discussion on what you should build, Whirlwind, Lancaster or the Anson?, you started the Mustang .
Looking pretty nifty so far. I always sprayed the Yellow after the main camo too.
What kit is it ?

:-) Lol Andy, yes I thought that too, but this was started before that discussion took place. In fact I started it as an easy build to get me kick started. It is nice and easy apart from the landing light which caused me all sorts of problems. It doesn't fit too well and trying to get a good looking light I dropped it into the carpet monster 4 times. It has probably took me longer lokking for the darn thing than the model has taken me to build In the end I fixed it level(ish) to the upper surface, filled the lower part with CA, sanded to a good fit, then polished it back to clarity
I have actually started the Whirlwind, but the wheels are distorted and I'm unsure which way to turn. I have contemplated scratch building new ones, which I'm sure will be easy

Quoted Text

thats shaping up nicely mal. how did you do the main camo scheme? freehand or with a little blu tac assistance

All freehand Phil, even the yellow tips to the prop blades weren't even masked, and I painted them while the black was still curing I also used a tip from a modeller at MK and used cream for the white nose and spinner. He actually used some Gunze paint I think it was, I added a drop of yellow to the white, I'm quite pleased with how it looks, off white

I started decalling this this evening but one of the underwing roundels disintigrated on me. My fault as I was checking to see if it was ready to release of the paper. I couldn't find my decal bank so I gave up, I found my decal bank later, so I can now get on.

Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 02:43 AM UTC
I started applying the decals tonight, but the Hasegawa decals are not very good and were cracking up. They were also had the wrong shade of red. At first I thought that Icould live with them but after applying the roundels I decided against using them and removed them all. I have some aero master roundels, so I decided to use them. I then found out that they didn't include the correct size of upper wing roundels. No problem I thought one of my other kits can supply them. I then preceeded to check through all my RAF marked kits to find that none of them had the correct size, bloody marvelous I had almost given up and was about to beg for some here, when I came across an old Tamiya Spitfire Mk I box and low and behold 2 pair of the correct size upper wing roundels The Spitfire saves the day yet again

I'll take some pics tomorrow night

Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 02:05 AM UTC
I did take thes pics last night, but for some reason my card reader refused to play The decals were still wet whan these were taken and everything turned out OK in the end

I took this into work today to apply a coat of Klear, during my break and a wash during my lunch break. I have to work on my mums 80th birthday present all this week so I doubt that there'll be much progress until after the wekend. However I am going to try and get this to it's final stage, by the week end, if I possibly can

Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 07:28 PM UTC
Having checked the date of my last update I'm appalled to see it was at the end of February So I have done vertually no modelling since then
Anyway an update at last. I give this a wash of Terpintine and artist oil paint, a mix of Davey Grey and Burnt Umber, I think Recently I gave it a matt cote, I us artist acrylic varnish for that (Windsor & Newton). I should have got this completed by now but the SP as, again taken up a lot of my time (I even took a few days off work but haven't been able to fit in any modelling).

Mal
lampie
Visit this Community
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 10:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I took this into work today to apply a coat of Klear, during my break and a wash during my lunch break. I have to work on my mums 80th birthday present all this week so I doubt that there'll be much progress until after the wekend. However I am going to try and get this to it's final stage, by the week end, if I possibly can

Mal

Well to be fair Mal,you didnt specify which weekend
How do you find the Windsor And Newton matt varnish?,,do you spray or brush it, and if you spray it what do you thin it with?
I really have to change my varnish, as Im still using a rattlecan of Humbrol and however carefull I am it still tends to go on too thick.
Nige
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 03:10 AM UTC
Nice looking 'Stang Mal, I must admit that I like the look of the B / C much more than the D especially with the camo rather than NM. Not long till Telford

Ciao
Luciano
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 05:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How do you find the Windsor And Newton matt varnish?,,do you spray or brush it, and if you spray it what do you thin it with?

I love it, I spray it on thinned with water.

I must admit to prefering the D myself Luciano, but any of them sre good in my book I did this one becaus eof the polish markings, my Uncle was Polish and, apparently, he was in the RAF during the war.

Mal
 _GOTOTOP