History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Royals at war?
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 02:09 PM UTC
I just saw that Prince Harry is scheduled to be deployed to Iraq. From the news reports it sounds like he will actually be participating in patrols, etc. with the accompanyment of a "Security Officer". I certainly wish the Prince luck as well as his unit and admire him for his service and sacrifice.

To my questions: Historically, what roles or duties have members of the Royal Family performed in the British military during both times of war and times of peace?

Is it highly valued in British society for a member of the Royal Family to have served in combat or during wartime? Does that make them a better Monarch in the eyes of the citizenry?
eg: I believe that most Americans value and seek out leaders that have served in our armed forces for political office.

Please forgive a Yank's dumb questions!
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 03:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just saw that Prince Harry is scheduled to be deployed to Iraq. From the news reports it sounds like he will actually be participating in patrols, etc. with the accompanyment of a "Security Officer". I certainly wish the Prince luck as well as his unit and admire him for his service and sacrifice.

To my questions: Historically, what roles or duties have members of the Royal Family performed in the British military during both times of war and times of peace?

Is it highly valued in British society for a member of the Royal Family to have served in combat or during wartime? Does that make them a better Monarch in the eyes of the citizenry?
eg: I believe that most Americans value and seek out leaders that have served in our armed forces for political office.

Please forgive a Yank's dumb questions!

They probably see it as part of their Royal 'duty'

Last time a member of the firm went to war was the Falklands, when Harry's Uncle Andrew flew a Sea King. Prince Charles was a naval officer too, though he never got further than commanding a mine-sweeper.

Harry's grandfather, tthe Duke of Edinburgh, served in the Royal Navy through WW2 as a gunnery officer, in the Med and the Far East (that I can remember). The Duke of Kent was killed when a Sunderland he was in crashed.

In WW1 the future King George VI was a turret officer on HMS Collingwood.

Oh and one of Blair's kids worked on Band of Brothers....

David

Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 06:36 PM UTC
The Duke Of Edinburgh actually got mentioned in dispatches during WWII.

And the Queen - Princess Elizabeth as was, was a Land girl and did not shirk from getting her hands dirty.

One of the best Royal war related Quotes - Queen Eliziabeth the Queen Mother - after a bomb fell on Buckingham Palace said she was pleased - she'd be able to look the East End of London in the face now.

For those who don't know the East End of London (Docklands area) was bombed v heavilly during the Blitz.

Andy
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 07:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Duke Of Edinburgh actually got mentioned in dispatches during WWII.

And the Queen - Princess Elizabeth as was, was a Land girl and did not shirk from getting her hands dirty.

One of the best Royal war related Quotes - Queen Eliziabeth the Queen Mother - after a bomb fell on Buckingham Palace said she was pleased - she'd be able to look the East End of London in the face now.

For those who don't know the East End of London (Docklands area) was bombed v heavilly during the Blitz.

Andy

Not a land girl - ATS, getting her hands dirty as a motor mechanic

David
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 11,669 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 07:35 PM UTC
Ello' Dearies

Allow me please a snap a salute to "Good Prince Harry" for standing up and doing his duty. God forbid any bad senarios and the young prince doesn't appear to be a shirker. May he and the others come home safe and sound.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 07:56 PM UTC
Princess Elizabeth in the ATS

David
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:15 PM UTC
As proud as I am of my British ancestry I can honestly say, and I hope I don't insult anybody, that the one thing about Britain I don't care about is the whole Royal family. That said I will say the one thing they do well is when they serve their country in this way. Hats off to them for this.

Hypothetically thought what do you suppose would happen if the young prince managed to get himself captured?
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Princess Elizabeth in the ATS

David

Whoops - my Bad.

Roger. I think it unlikly - given that he is in a recon role, that he would be captured, heaven forbid a crossfire or friendly fire incident though - even though these are the risks that you take when you sign up. In no way was he forced to do it - Admittedly there is a tradition of duty in the Royal Family, But P Edward didn't want to so didn't serve.

Good luck to P Harry, and all Armed Forces guys out there on the front line.

Andy
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 05:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hypothetically thought what do you suppose would happen if the young prince managed to get himself captured?

While I admire the fine fellow for not shirking his duty, you have a better chance of winning the lottery than he does of coming close to anything even resembling a threat. He'll be there, but with more protection directed at and around him then the president gets. Can you imagine what the reaction would be if this fellow got hurt or worse. Katie bar the door!
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

He would make an alluring target for insurgents. If I was commanding some insurgents you better believe that would be priority #1. With adequate resources and good planning I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility.

Can you imagine the world wide media coverage etc... and how it would influence the will of the Bristish public to keep fighting? What a media and political coup!
herrvermylen
Visit this Community
New Plymouth, New Zealand
entire network: 207 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 10:34 AM UTC
He will get suffice protection, even if he does get close to gunfire (which I doubt) he will be heavily flanked by guards no doubt.
Imagine him falling in enemy hands. ....

Would be a field trip for them !

But offcourse it always works miracles on the public, look there he goes to fight for his country amongst the soldiers !

yeah right

I have more respect for the everyday grunt whos risking his life there then royalty going on a sight seeing tour with a gun.

Herr
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have more respect for the everyday grunt whos risking his life there then royalty going on a sight seeing tour with a gun.

Herr

Hmmm...

Criticism from the other side of the teevy tube is cheap.

Well, at least Section Commander Wales has the cojones to go and do - don't see any Blair or Bush offspring standing up to undertake anything as quaint as their 'duty'...

acav out