_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Ships
This is a group for ship scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
ACUTR-Tread's Absolutely 'ZERO' scratchbuild
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 03:38 AM UTC
Howdy all fellow Scratcher's out there

I have enlisted in the ongoing ACUTR scratchbuilding Campaign and have dubbed my official entry as an "Absolutely 'ZERO' scratchbuild" because my plan is to perform this build with absolutely ZERO storebought ingredients, ZERO kit parts, using absolutely ZERO modeling tools, utilizing ZERO precut Evergreen/Plastruc parts, and most importantly, spending absolutely ZERO dollars!!!
Not only will this be an experiment in methodology {using non-modeling related ingredients entirely}, but also a very necessary exercise for me financially.

But in an effort to be fair, It won't be too far off the beaten path for me since I not only actually prefer using MDF for scratching, but, I have indeed used this method before. Most notably on my Civil War Ironclad 'Choctaw' build-up.

Anyways....the above being said, I'll move on to the project itself

I have chosen to build the Vietnam Artillery Barge I have yakked so much about on another thread. I know it in no way compares to any of the superbly complicated, and exquisitely completed builds of the other members here, but at the present moment it is all I can afford to build. Aside from that, I have no modeling tools at all.......so, it all fits perfectly

Pics and descriptives of the build to follow.

Thx for stopping by.

warm regards,

Tread
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 04:33 AM UTC
cool, cool, cool, cool, cool, cool, cool, cool, cool, cool, cool.

I'm looking forward to this. If anybody can pull off a scratchbuild without conventional materials, I believe, Tread, you can.

MDF huh? Doesn't it get pretty heavy by the time ya finish?

Cuhail
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 04:42 AM UTC
GO FOR IT!!!
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 06:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

GO FOR IT!!!

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 04:23 AM UTC
Howdy fellas....

I genuinely appreciate those of you who took the time to stop by and post your kind comments. Especially since I think I posted this on a ModelGeek ONLY thread.
But that's alright, I don't mind at all doing my 'bit' to add lather to the Scratchbuilding side of Armorama's 'ModelGeek' site. With any luck some 'newbies' out there will find some worth in the posting.

to the 'Murph' man: Mighty glad you're looking forward to the build as I think I'll be using 'druid' level ingredients I have been considering experimenting with bronze-era implements, but none of the local history museums are interested in lending me their display pieces.....darn!

to Murdo: Many thx for taking the time to wish me good luck :- )

to KoSprueOne: Your Jack-0-Lantern is.....cool. :-)

Tread.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 06:24 AM UTC
Please post photos
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 07:20 AM UTC
Okay - I'm curious too.

Don't tease us too long - photos of this project please!

Gunnie
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 04:54 PM UTC
Come on............... Crack out that Scrap MDF.... pics we need pics!!!!!!!!!

(kinda like the old Sheet styrene signage I got from HD that I'm Scratching with myself)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 04:08 AM UTC
GUNTRUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

YEAH!

Man, is it good to hear your voice! Old people like me find comfort in people and things that are familiar and 'blasts from our pasts'
So, Jim you are doin' a dandy job of making me feel very comfortable at the moment

I won't bore people with my selfish ramblings, but will say that I am glad you stopped by to check out what we're doin' here.
I don't suppose there's any chance we could talk you into maybe joining this Camapign?....maybe?...huh?......maybe?.......did I already say maybe?

As you might already suspect, I am fairly enthused about this Campaign, and I have taken on the mantle of unofficial 'recruiter'.....I've already had the good fortune of enlisting some very talented members to give it a go.......and just for the record, I haven't given up yet.......none of you are safe from my sales pitch
Adding your talent to the ranks Jim would be FANTASTIC!.....and quite honestly a feather in my cap {and with my receding hairline, I need all the 'feathers' I can get}.
Just give it some thought...O.K.?

Otherwise PLEASE don't be a stranger. Whether you choose to join or not, I really appreciate hearing your opines

Tread.
 _GOTOTOP