Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
What a day
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 03:04 AM UTC
I was stopped at a red light, and when it turned green I proceeded into the intersection. A car did not stop and crashed into me going about 40 mph. He hit me in the left front and when he hit my car, it spun the steering wheel out of my hand. It lifted my Saturn Vue up and spun it 90 degrees.

I was wearing my seatbelt, so the only damage to me was a swollen left hand. My car suffered far more. Eventhough liability insurance is mandatory in Alabama, the other guy is, of course, uninsured.

The xrays were negative, but my hand is swollen and killing me. It could have been worse I know, but the guy who hit me put me out of work today, trashed my car, and now my insurance will probably go up. Jeeze!

Patrick
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,437 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 03:24 AM UTC
Your rates may not go up. Most states have a rule that your rates can not go up if the accident is not your fault. I don't know about Alabama.

If you have collision coverage on your vehicle then you will be able to get your repairs paid by your coverage, less your deductible. Alabama may even have uninsured collision coverage (usually has a lower deductible). If you have either of these coverages after your carrier pays you they will subrogate against the at fault driver. They may walk away from an uninsured driver if they do a background check and see he has no assets. No sense in throwing good money (litigation costs) after bad. If they recover anything from the at fault driver you would get that % of your deductible back, less costs, if they have to use an attorney to get it. Many times insurance companies can get uninsured at fault parties to agree to pay the loss back in installments, so all this could take very long. You can ask that you be updated, or bug your insurance company for updates.

You probably also have uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage (UMBI). You can make a claim for pain and suffering under your own coverage. This takes place of the coverage the other guy should have had.

Good luck.

Bob
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 03:28 AM UTC
Sorry to hear the news, but glad you weren't injured more.
We have the mandatory insurance here in Joisey also.

Usually works like this:
1. You get creamed
2. You got insurance
3. Other guy doesn't
4. Your insurance pays
5. Your rates go up.
6. Other guy buys another junker
7. Goes out and creams someone else, usually this time with no license also. (If he had a license the first time!)
8. Uninsured-Unlicensed driver gets off again because he is a poor undocumented worker just trying to support his poor undocumented family. Walks free again
9. Uninsured-Unlicensed-Undocumented poor worker get drunk, kills someone, gets sentenced to Rehab.
10. Leaves rehab, starts drinking, creams someone, and the ACLU springs him on technicalities, and violations of his human rights.
11. Poor Undocumented-Uninsured-Unlicensed worker get crap faced, wraps himself around a bridge embankment doing 90, kills himself, and neighbors all come out and set up shrines.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 06:44 AM UTC
Grumpy, I'd almost swear you were from California :-)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 06:52 AM UTC
:-) Believe me it's the truth :-)
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 06:58 AM UTC
But it never hurts to do a quick left, right, left with the eyes before entering the intersection. We've all seen someone (perhaps even ourselves) run a red.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 07:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Grumpy, I'd almost swear you were from California

I thought he just described the situation that we have over here in the U.K. down to a tee. I have seen 5 major accidents in the last three weeks during my job (which is driving a truck). To top it all, my wife got rear ended last week on a round-about. The other driver is insured though, and the insurance will pay for my wifes injury treatment (whiplash) As for damage to the car... his car is a write-off, our car did not suffer a scratch. Peugeot 405 rules.

It sucks to be pranged by an uninsured driver Patrick, but, and little as it's worth, at least you were not badly injured.

Henk
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 08:14 AM UTC
Back in 84 I had a cartheif in a stolen car hit my 80 Civic hatchback.lawyers were useless.RI has mandatory insurance too.I wish there would be a short mandatory jail sentence,for scofflaws.take the guy to court,get a judgement.It will be something you could possibly garnish his wages.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Usually works like this:
1. You get creamed
2. You got insurance
3. Other guy doesn't
4. Your insurance pays
5. Your rates go up.
7. Goes out and creams someone else, usually this time with no license also. (If he had a license the first time!)
8. Uninsured-Unlicensed driver gets off again because he is a poor undocumented worker just trying to support his poor undocumented family. Walks free again
9. Uninsured-Unlicensed-Undocumented poor worker get drunk, kills someone, gets sentenced to Rehab.
10. Leaves rehab, starts drinking, creams someone, and the ACLU springs him on technicalities, and violations of his human rights.
11. Poor Undocumented-Uninsured-Unlicensed worker get crap faced, wraps himself around a bridge embankment doing 90, kills himself, and neighbors all come out and set up shrines.

Now Dave! That's not very PC of you. But it's right on the money.
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 182 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Usually works like this:
1. You get creamed
2. You got insurance
3. Other guy doesn't
4. Your insurance pays
5. Your rates go up.

Dave you forgot somethng:
Step 12. Poor Undocumented-Uninsured-Unlicensed worker's family sues city, county and/or state for putting bridge embankment there and gets huge settlement and our taxes go up to cover the cost.