_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Woodgrain
Tiny
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 48 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 07:56 AM UTC
I am currently painting a 1/16 scale Tamiya German Infantryman with greatcoat and am having trouble painting wood grain. Any help?
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 08:43 AM UTC
I have a system that I like but I have only tried it parts that have wood grain molded into the part. What I do is paint it with acrylic wood from testors. After that dries for a day or so I mix a wash that is a little different for each board. I use either oil paints or enamels for the wash. I find using different but similar colors of dark brown to wash each board helps to make it look like the box is made from different peices of wood. If it is one big piece of wood I am sure you could do something similar. If there is not wood grain molded into the plastice that would make it tougher, I am not sure what you could do in that case other than paint is with normal paint and forget about the natural wood look.
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 11:59 AM UTC
I've only done 1/35 wood but here's what I do:
base paint with dunkelgelb
was with burnt umber oil paint, thinner for lighter wood, thicker for darker wood
purposely streak the wash to simulate woodgrain

In that large of a scale I guess you could do a uniform wash and then go back with a very thin brush to make the streaks.
Hope this helps
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:14 PM UTC
Hello Tiny ...What I do to get a good wood finish is I start with a acrylic sand color and let this dry ...I then use burnt umber oil paint brushed on thick ,covering the whole piece.. I leave it sit for about 1/2 hour ,then I take a wide brush and wipe off the paint letting it drag from one end to the other..I then wipe off as much of oil paint off my brush and go over it as many times as I feel necessary..works great ..You can also use other colors to show stained wood or start with a greyer base coat for older wood .

Rick
 _GOTOTOP